Sponsored by:

alternator removal 240D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator removal 240D

Hi all.
I am trying to replace the alternator on a 1983 240D. I have removed the lower bolt from behind and underneath it, loosened the upper pivot bolt and the adjustment nut is as loose as I can get it without taking it off the rod. It seems like the adjustment rod connects to the bolt that still needs to come off to allow the alternator to drop out, but I don't want to mess up the adjustment mechanism. The book I have says that I just need to loosen the adjuster to remove the alternator??? Surely this isn't as hard as I am making it?
Any help appreciated.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Shout for the other 240 guy

Originally Posted by Richard 240D
Hi all.
I am trying to replace the alternator on a 1983 240D. I have removed the lower bolt from behind and underneath it, loosened the upper pivot bolt and the adjustment nut is as loose as I can get it without taking it off the rod. It seems like the adjustment rod connects to the bolt that still needs to come off to allow the alternator to drop out, but I don't want to mess up the adjustment mechanism. The book I have says that I just need to loosen the adjuster to remove the alternator??? Surely this isn't as hard as I am making it?
Any help appreciated.
He knows how to get your 240 diesel to stand on her rear wheels and beg for biscuits.