Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GL320 CDI Problems

Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Exclamation GL320 CDI Problems

I forgot that we had a dedicated diesel forum until someone pointed it out to me.

Myself and another are reporting problems with our new CDI engines in our GL's. I think that it is worth posting a link here for others with the same engine.

The problem seems to be with the intercooler hose coming loose.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/181774-vance-we-have-problem.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/182269-vance-we-have-another-problem.html#post2027741

It is also being reported in the other forum to.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gl-c...-take-two.html
Old 02-21-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
poor autosaurus rex

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
I forgot that we had a dedicated diesel forum until someone pointed it out to me.

Myself and another are reporting problems with our new CDI engines in our GL's. I think that it is worth posting a link here for others with the same engine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181774

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2027741

No one is replying to you except me! Unfortunately my diesel is a straight 6 not a V-6. MB is trying to market this Bluetec as the 2007 re-incarnation of the sliced bread and washing machine so you can be sure they do not want negative publicity.

I test drove a Bluetec E320 diesel in December 2006 without any of the problems you experienced. I think the same engine is shipped over from Germany and assembled in the USA so there should not be any quality difference.

A good buddy of mine took delivery of a GL diesel in January 2007 without this particular problem but I shall pass on this message to him.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 AM

GL320 and C350 on order

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181774

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2027741

Loose hoses don't make a bad engine. I am sure you are not happy having to take the new car back but to say the engine is bad based on your notes is a big stretch. The engine itself is a few years old and proven.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
However, Norris, this is the second person with this issue, and Autosaurus's dealer has indicated the replaced hose and clamp have not helped. To me, this indicates a problem with the vehicle, that after paying $70k for, should not exist. Engine problem or not, semantics is what we're quibbling over...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Norris
Loose hoses don't make a bad engine. I am sure you are not happy having to take the new car back but to say the engine is bad based on your notes is a big stretch. The engine itself is a few years old and proven.
But "loose hoses" do make the vehicle inoperative and therefore the engine does not work. The problem is not that the engine is well tested and proven...the problem is that the owner paid $70K for a Mercedes Benz that does not run as advertised because a component has failed. It is up to MB to correct the problem fast and enlighten him as to the reason for the failure.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 AM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
And, if i may presume to add to your post, Jack, for him to enlighten the rest of us so that we can breathe easy as we accept delivery of our own GL320's...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by carpersn
And, if i may presume to add to your post, Jack, for him to enlighten the rest of us so that we can breathe easy as we accept delivery of our own GL320's...
I know Jack and when he gets his answers he will let us know. I am still not edgy about this problem and think it is isolated but as April draws near I will hope "all is well with the GL"...:-)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
However, Norris, this is the second person with this issue, and Autosaurus's dealer has indicated the replaced hose and clamp have not helped. To me, this indicates a problem with the vehicle, that after paying $70k for, should not exist. Engine problem or not, semantics is what we're quibbling over...
If no problems ever existed there would be no need for a warranty, right?

Your statement is fantasyland.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Fantasyland? Well, I believe Jack had the car about 1-2 weeks, so i don't really believe that roadside assistance ought be required before the first 1k mark. More like Realityland.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM

GL320 and C350 on order
My point is there is no reason to threaten law suits which has been mentioned in other threads over an isolated problem. As Nevada Jack said everyone here hopes that this is resolved in a fast manner rather than slowly. Sure if it was my GL I'm sure I would be a little upset also. But I would not make broad strokes of the brush saying that all GL 320's have this problem. As of right now this is only to have happened on one other GL.

The 320 is a pretty solid engine and has proven itself over the past few years.

Last edited by Norris; 02-22-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what about the exploding ML 320 CDi?

Originally Posted by Norris
My point is there is no reason to threaten law suits which has been mentioned in other threads over an isolated problem. As Nevada Jack said everyone here hopes that this is resolved in a fast manner rather than slowly. Sure if it was my GL I'm sure I would be a little upset also. But I would not make broad strokes of the brush saying that all GL 320's have this problem. As of right now this is only to have happened on one other GL.

The 320 is a pretty solid engine and has proven itself over the past few years.
In another part of this site there were a number of photos of a lady's Bluetec diesel ML taken after the driver's rear side tire blew up. Do you think it is also an isolated problem?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Fantasyland? Well, I believe Jack had the car about 1-2 weeks, so i don't really believe that roadside assistance ought be required before the first 1k mark. More like Realityland.
The first occurance happened on day 14 of ownership. The second was on day 18. The four days in between 2 were in the shop.

I don't believe it is not a hose or clamp problem. But after talking to the people at the dealership, I believe it is pressure or force from the turbo, which is a component of the engine, and causing the hose to come off.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
The first occurance happened on day 14 of ownership. The second was on day 18. The four days in between 2 were in the shop.

I don't believe it is not a hose or clamp problem. But after talking to the people at the dealership, I believe it is pressure or force from the turbo, which is a component of the engine, and causing the hose to come off.

there are many other factory turbo vehicles out there that pop the intercooler hoses off when under boost. Take a look at the Mitsu Evo8 and 9. Those things from the factory with stock boost were popping the intercooler hoses off left and right. Basically what it needs is a true T-bolt style hose clamp instead of just some generic off the shelf POS clamp. I have not had one of these intakes apart yet, but hopefully there is some sort of ridge under the hose to atleast help this from happening so frequently.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no excuse whatsoever for MB

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
there are many other factory turbo vehicles out there that pop the intercooler hoses off when under boost. Take a look at the Mitsu Evo8 and 9. Those things from the factory with stock boost were popping the intercooler hoses off left and right. Basically what it needs is a true T-bolt style hose clamp instead of just some generic off the shelf POS clamp. I have not had one of these intakes apart yet, but hopefully there is some sort of ridge under the hose to atleast help this from happening so frequently.
Mitsubishi made the zero fighter in WW-ii. They were decimated by the end of the war by Mustangs, Thunderbolts and Hawker Typhoons.

MB built engines for heavy diesel tank engines that roamed the deserts and frozen battlefields of Stalingrad. They were the best to the end of the war. Only the Soviet T-34s could compare.

MB today (up to the W126 anyway) built superior cars. In trying to match Lexus they strayed into unnecessary electronic gadgetry and also subcumbed to bean counters advice. The electronics break down. The steel gauge thinned to Japanese grade to save weight and money and feel tinny. The only saving grace is AMG. The Japanese has nothing to match - yet.

MB must do better - treat their customers like VIPs. Fix faults like the turbo hoses fast and replace what is necessary. I like MBs but they have to work harder to keep my money in the future.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by harkgar
In another part of this site there were a number of photos of a lady's Bluetec diesel ML taken after the driver's rear side tire blew up. Do you think it is also an isolated problem?
I think that was an R-Class and I don't think that it was the tire blowing up. There's a rear A/C evaporator in that area, and the muffler and the tire and that's about it. There's no telling what failed without looking more closely.

That aside. It is very disheartening to see problems with a new vehicle. Heck, I complain about repairs that I have to make to my 7-year-old W210 that seem to defy the older reliability models of Diamler-Benz. My girlfriends W123 (first-year-model) is a tank and requires so little attention that I get jealous from time to time.

To those disappointed with the new GL, simply take it back to the dealer, and make a big fuss until they agree to make it right or buy it back from you. The last thing that a dealership wants is a very pissed off customer with a very new vehicle in the building or on the lot where they are trying to sell cars to other prospective customers.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 AM

2015 GL 550, 1988 560SL
How hard is it to convert my 09 GL320 headlights to HID

I am disappointed with the "normal" headlights that came equipped in my 2009 GL 320. I would like to purchase some HID replacement lights off of ebay and install them on my GL. Does anybody know if this would be a plug and play situation. Do I need to spend time at the dealership with the STAR program to change the settings for HID. Finally, would anybody know the part number for both headlights so that I could be sure of purchasing the correct item. Hopefully, someone has already blazed the path, and any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Originally Posted by Ornelas66
I am disappointed with the "normal" headlights that came equipped in my 2009 GL 320. I would like to purchase some HID replacement lights off of ebay and install them on my GL. Does anybody know if this would be a plug and play situation. Do I need to spend time at the dealership with the STAR program to change the settings for HID. Finally, would anybody know the part number for both headlights so that I could be sure of purchasing the correct item. Hopefully, someone has already blazed the path, and any help will be appreciated.
You can purchase some HID bulbs/ballast off ebay for really cheap these days. And in the end these will produce more light than the normal halogen lights.

You will not need to go to the dealer to change the settings because that is only required with OEM headlights that have autoleveling and I also believe that they have fixed the voltage requirements for the ballasts so you will not get a check light error message.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Ornelas66
Finally, would anybody know the part number for both headlights so that I could be sure of purchasing the correct item. Hopefully, someone has already blazed the path, and any help will be appreciated.
What do you mean "the part number?"

The entire headlight unit is either HID or Halogen.

There's no converting between them with Mercedes parts.