Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

door locks don't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 08:47 AM

84 300SD
door locks don't work

the central locking system dosen't work the previous owner of the car said that the vaccumn pump needs to be replaced, said something about it being under the back seat. i took out the back seet and couldn'e see anything that looks like a vaccumn pump or solenoid, any help would be apreciated on getting my locks working thanks

Jason
Old 05-16-2007 | 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
ask the expert

Originally Posted by jhutton
the central locking system dosen't work the previous owner of the car said that the vaccumn pump needs to be replaced, said something about it being under the back seat. i took out the back seet and couldn'e see anything that looks like a vaccumn pump or solenoid, any help would be apreciated on getting my locks working thanks

Jason

PM our in-house expert Mr. 240 3.0 DT.
Old 05-16-2007 | 10:44 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
The vacuum pump is actually on the front of the engine... I have the same problem in my 300TD... If I rev the motor a little bit before shut down, the vacuum builds up enough to lock the doors. The vacuum reservoir is located behind the back seat between the trunk and the back seat.

Are you having any other vacuum related issues such as the engine not wanting to shut off?

You can either have your vacuum pump rebuilt, or you can do it yourself. You can use a vacuum gauge to diagnose if you have a bad vacuum pump or not.

http://207.210.95.34/~boostd/easley/...d_vac_pump.htm
Old 05-17-2007 | 08:32 AM

84 300SD
i apreciate the responses, i am not having any other vaccumn issues except with the door locks, the engine shuts off perfectly, not sure if this matters but when i lock the drivers door with the key the trunk locks too? but the other doors do not, i would assume that the trunk is a vacuum lock too? i apreciate your help, i really love my new to me car. and have got alot of complements on it
thanks

Jason
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:18 PM

84 300SD
i think i found the problem, i got my parts cd in the mail, and went looking for the pump in the trunk and noticed, its not there, its missing , so that would explain my problem
sorry for bothering the board, i hope you don't think i'm crazy