Just Bought 83 300D with verified 66k miles-some questions-some observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 MBZ 300SD, 03 Audi A8, 97 Volvo 960
Just Bought 83 300D with verified 66k miles-some questions-some observations

Hello to all.

I am new to this forum, and to diesels, but I am a very long time car-guy.
I have just a few areas of operational question which I would be grateful for answers:

1. The transmission was replaced at 55k miles. It does not slip but it shifts with tremendous authority-not smoothly. Is this normal?

2. The auxiliary fan will not engage unless I shunt the wires that come out of the AC Drier-not the low freon switch, the other one. What is the likely source of the problem?

3. This is very strange. On the freeway, if I give it power at 70 or so, the car will go just a little to the left. When I release the accelerator, the car goes back to its original trajectory. My suspicion, if this were an American car, would be a rear track bar bushing that was worn and allowing the axle to react to the additional wind up by shifting position. Make sense to anyone? If yes, which bushing? If no, what, then?

4. I just had the car converted to accept Bio-Fuels. I used a Lovecraft system and had it installed with a valve adjustment, too. We'll see how this works.

5. I had the tires "road force balanced" because the car was smooth up to 75, but started to shake a little over that. (This is California, and those are normal, everyday freeway speeds). After the balance, it is smooth as glass. I strongly recommend a Road Force Balance to all who may be experiencing unwanted Shake.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

'84 300CD, '82 300SD, '74 TR6, '99 Land Rover Discovery
300D with 66K

Most 123 transmissions shift more positively than other cars, but why does the previous owner say the transmission had to be replaced at 55K? Very unusual for an MB transmission. The kind of quirks you describe don't sound like a car with 66K are you sure the mileage is correct?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 AM

1980 MBZ 300SD, 03 Audi A8, 97 Volvo 960
Hi. I am positive about the mileage-verified by motor vehicle dept. The trans replacement seemed strange to me, too. I think the fellow was taken advantage of by the local MB dealer-who was kind enough to do the job for a mere $4000.

From what I have read, it seems that vacuum has a lot to do with shift quality and shift points. So, where and how do I adjust it? Thanks.