S320 CDi - MPG???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astra SRi - drive other mb's
Question S320 CDi - MPG???

My M8's only getting 22-24 MPG average from his '05 S320 CDi I6 which is well below brocure claimed he sez. Its driven carefully, not LWB, and uses best fuel, etc. its only done about 8,ooo miles. But does have 19 in AMG wheels. No re-map or anything.
Does this figure seem right??

Other ppl i know get better from their S500/S600s etc! so he's a bit miffed about his economy, especially as diesel's more xpensive in the UK than unleaded at the moment.

What are other ppl getting on a good, calm motorway run, sort of thing?

Cheers
MorrisMan'91
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Is that US or Imperial gallons? I have not had any W220 but my LWB W221 has averaged 28.3 mpg (US) or 34 miles per imperial gallon. Decent driving mostly but a mixture of city and highway, not that much highway actually.

This is over some 25 000 km and calibrated figures. I believe my best for a highway only was 37.3 mpg (US gallons). Highway only and slow speed.

22-24 could easily be normal, but really difficult to say when "normal driving" can be almost anything. By the way, the advertised average for the W221 is 27.7 mpg (US).
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

W109 300 SEL 6.3, W201 190 Evo II, W140 S500, W209 CLK Black, W222 S350
Dunno about the I6, my W221 V6 gets at least 30mpg around town and about 38-40 on the motorway.

Diesel prices in the UK are a joke, pay more for the Diesel engine in the first place, pay more for the fuel so the Govt. doesn't lose out on the tax.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UKEvo
Dunno about the I6, my W221 V6 gets at least 30mpg around town and about 38-40 on the motorway.

Diesel prices in the UK are a joke, pay more for the Diesel engine in the first place, pay more for the fuel so the Govt. doesn't lose out on the tax.
Are your figures Imperial gallons? I would assume US gallons the default here, would be useful to clarify that.

Why is it that you are paying more for the diesel engine in the UK? The German price for the 320CDI is a few thousand Euros less than for the S350.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Are your figures Imperial gallons? I would assume US gallons the default here, would be useful to clarify that.

Why is it that you are paying more for the diesel engine in the UK? The German price for the 320CDI is a few thousand Euros less than for the S350.
In the US the GL 320 is $2500 less than the GL 450. I was shocked because my Duramax / Allison upgrade was a 9K add-on. Same thing for my previous Powerstrokes.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
In the US the GL 320 is $2500 less than the GL 450. I was shocked because my Duramax / Allison upgrade was a 9K add-on. Same thing for my previous Powerstrokes.
But you're comparing a diesel V6 to a gasser V8. There's about a 130 hp difference.

If the GL420 diesel was available stateside, I guarantee it would be quite a bit more than the GL450. Similar horsepower, diesel fuel economy. Too bad diesel costs 20% more than regular unleaded right now kind of slashing a good reason to own an oil-burner.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DslBnz
But you're comparing a diesel V6 to a gasser V8. There's about a 130 hp difference.

If the GL420 diesel was available stateside, I guarantee it would be quite a bit more than the GL450. Similar horsepower, diesel fuel economy. Too bad diesel costs 20% more than regular unleaded right now kind of slashing a good reason to own an oil-burner.
True, diesel models have to be compared with the smaller gassers. Not necessarily by HP alone, acceleration would be better (the CDI gets the same acceleration with a lower peak HP).

Anyway, the S420CDI is about 2000 euros more than an S500 (S550 if you like) in Germany.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by DslBnz

Around here, diesel is only about 5% more than Premium, so it is still a big savings.

I have been driving diesels since the early 80's. I have always paid a huge premium for them. The Duramax, Powerstroke TT, and 6.7 Cummins all add 8K+ over their comparable V8 gassers. The Duramax is 360 HP and the 6.0L gas is 367 HP, so they are pretty even in that respect.

The 3.0L V6 (Mercedes) in the Jeep Gran Cherokee adds 1,000 over the 5.7L V8. Even at 2000 EU for the 420, it seems like a bargain compared to what we have been paying for diesels in the US for the last 20 years.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Angry Mmm...

Ye, UKEVO, ur right, diesel in the uk is a joke. there's absolutly know reason why it should be more expensive to buy than petrol. Its just our highly inefficient government trying to ween more money out of us to waste on crap. Its about £1.10 at the moment and theres suposed 2 b another 3p tax put on agen soon.
I think the next motor's gunna b a big V12, make the most of it before you have to remorgage the house and sell your kidney to go to tesco's for your weekly shop!!!
The fuel tax is totally killing our buisness profit aswell.

In reply to the other posts-its imperial gallons i think.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by MorrisMan'91
Ye, UKEVO, ur right, diesel in the uk is a joke. there's absolutly know reason why it should be more expensive to buy than petrol. Its just our highly inefficient government trying to ween more money out of us to waste on crap. Its about £1.10 at the moment and theres suposed 2 b another 3p tax put on agen soon.
I think the next motor's gunna b a big V12, make the most of it before you have to remorgage the house and sell your kidney to go to tesco's for your weekly shop!!!
The fuel tax is totally killing our buisness profit aswell.

In reply to the other posts-its imperial gallons i think.
I feel for you. The Pound Sterling is worth double the Canadian Dollar and the numerical value per liter is roughly the same (I filled my tank tonight at CD$1.089 per liter) so your diesel is a little more than double that here.

Diesel is cheaper to make than unleaded so there is absolutely no excuse to slap on big taxes. What is so dispicable about the whole thing is that your government encouraged diesel usage some 15 years ago and as soon as the number of diesel drivers hit the sweet spot they jack up the price of diesel. The same will happen in North America.

The taxman talks about the environment. They talk about this carbon foot print (and carbon taxes that had grown from flip-flops to army jack boots). They talk about easing congestion. What they are really talking about is tax gouging.

Do you think they give a shjt about your lungs or mine? Gimme a break. The Chancellor and the Prince travel in gas guzzling Rolls Royces, Jaguar limos and Aston Martins.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
Around here, diesel is only about 5% more than Premium, so it is still a big savings.

I have been driving diesels since the early 80's. I have always paid a huge premium for them. The Duramax, Powerstroke TT, and 6.7 Cummins all add 8K+ over their comparable V8 gassers. The Duramax is 360 HP and the 6.0L gas is 367 HP, so they are pretty even in that respect.

The 3.0L V6 (Mercedes) in the Jeep Gran Cherokee adds 1,000 over the 5.7L V8. Even at 2000 EU for the 420, it seems like a bargain compared to what we have been paying for diesels in the US for the last 20 years.
What consumption do you get for your 6.0 liter gas engine? My three quarter ton Suburban with the 6.0 liter can only manage 10 mpg City. I have not try long distance on the highway yet with all the ice and snow. The car has 840 miles on the clock from new.

The engine is all iron (block and head) , no cylinder deactivation and a crank driven fan so it is going to be thirst compared with the half tons. In the 2500Suburban it puts out only 352 bhp but with the 6 speed transmission it feels very peppy. Where else in the world can you buy such a large truck for so little?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Angry

HARKGAR >>>> At the end of the day, If the governments keep slapping on the tax, its bye bye economy an they'll have to reduce it again to stop a crash, cos so many buisinesses are based on road transport (an then find another way of taxin us!!) and wont b able to afford to keep going - loads of haulage companies in the uk r goin out of buisiness because of the fuel prices, congestgion charging etc. Our family company needs 2 buy new trucks because they cant go into the london emmisions zone - so bye bye profit 4 another couple of years!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MorrisMan'91
HARKGAR >>>> At the end of the day, If the governments keep slapping on the tax, its bye bye economy an they'll have to reduce it again to stop a crash, cos so many buisinesses are based on road transport (an then find another way of taxin us!!) and wont b able to afford to keep going - loads of haulage companies in the uk r goin out of buisiness because of the fuel prices, congestgion charging etc. Our family company needs 2 buy new trucks because they cant go into the london emmisions zone - so bye bye profit 4 another couple of years!
It is sad Morris Man.

I visit England every couple of years the last time in 2007 (Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds) and I love the way motorists drive on the motorways - fast and safe. No one overtakes from the inside lane and no one obeys the 70 mph "speed" limit. They go faster. Much faster. When the flow was good I would say most people drove at 90 mph. Where there are speed cameras they advertise it a couple of miles ahead. The Police are not in bed with politicians gouging motorists.

Most privately owned cars still have manual transmissions and if you do the test with an automatic you can only drive automatics, not stick which is perfectly reasonable. 99% of licensed motorists have the stick license.

The only complaint is the price of gasoline. England is an exporter of oil and yet price its petrol double that in North America.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by harkgar
It is sad Morris Man.

I visit England every couple of years the last time in 2007 (Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds) and I love the way motorists drive on the motorways - fast and safe. No one overtakes from the inside lane and no one obeys the 70 mph "speed" limit. They go faster. Much faster. When the flow was good I would say most people drove at 90 mph. Where there are speed cameras they advertise it a couple of miles ahead. The Police are not in bed with politicians gouging motorists.

Most privately owned cars still have manual transmissions and if you do the test with an automatic you can only drive automatics, not stick which is perfectly reasonable. 99% of licensed motorists have the stick license.

The only complaint is the price of gasoline. England is an exporter of oil and yet price its petrol double that in North America.
I love cars and lots of driving; I moved from UK to USA. I could not be happier.