Sponsored by:

shifting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 240 diesel mercedes benz
shifting problems

i have a 1981 240d benz, it was super slow off the line and would shift through the gears to fast to get any power. i had my mechanic adjust the injection pumps to give it some pep, which helped its power but now it won't shift into third till 33 mph and wont shift to fourth till 57 mph with the motor reving high. does anyone out there know anything about this, how can i get it to shift sooner so its not reving so high. any info would be appreciated. you can send replies to HARMOA@AOL.COM
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru Impreza wagon 07
what is your question??
I get very confused....

If your car's engine don't reach to certain amount of speed, how can you shift to a higher gear with the engine running?

Even like a regular gas engine civic, you need to have like a minimum of 60km ish to shift into 5 gear.... if not you will stall the car right away
Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 240 diesel mercedes benz
it only has four speeds it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, from 2nd to 3rd it is the motor is screaming a little, and from 3rd to 4th the motor is wound out before it shifts.
the motor is strong and the tranny despite the late shifting seems fine i just think theres some sort of vacumm issue or something like that, but i dont know anything about these.