Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97' e 300D Mileage decreasing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Surging from idle to WOT sounds like a TPS or IFI issue. Would think SDS would show something if it did that while hooked up.

The bellows you describe sounds like the Resonance flaps if on the left as you face the engine, controls air supply. If on left from the drivers perspective it would be the EGR valve.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheaper than a benz...
well now that everyone is calm, and JOEb has told us exactly what was happening, i think everyone on here was at each others throats. with the occasional know it person interupting.

AS far as the surge goes...that is baffeling. I have had an occasional issue with MY car surging, but it was in the 40-65mph range, very slight, and sometimes VERY noticeable. I am suspect of the flaps, which after disassembling the the flaps and cleaning them, the lower flap was binding, which i took apart and cleaned, then the main runner flap acted up so I cleaned that out. the problem was fixed, it hasnt surged,

but from accelerating from a stop, I have to look into that one. I had a few higher ups from mercedes visit my dealer, and i asked them about it (my problem), they know about the surge, they told me a few tips, which I can perform on my own car but not a customers, since it is manipulating the emission system, and I can't leak out the information, but it seems plausible as to the "surge fix". Which may not also fix the surge from acceleration issue.

I'll ask around and look into any repair attempts from my database at work, in mercedes world. The tps, could do that issue if it goes into limp home, but i am sure it would show in the sds by setting a code. I hadnt priced a tps lately, i would imagine at least $100, egr i know is around 300 at my cost, 2500 my cost for a injection pump.

Give me some time to research some things, right now I'm in a legal/cival issue with a 98 diesel i bought from a customer who has failed to furbish the title. I have seen the title and had my name signed on the back of it to transfer owners. Right now Im really irritated on this.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
Still a vacuum issue...

Stupidy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 PM

cheaper than a benz...
goatman go back to the farm and find some goats. your opinons and comments are ignored by everyone on here.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 PM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
Except by you........

And the king......

You're keeping great company. Find that MB synthetic trans fluid yet???
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM

1997 mercedes e300d
Just today, it happened again. I was stopped at a light, ironically at a crosswalk, the light turned green and I accellerated, the car surged and the person who just passed my car gave me a wicked bad stare. The car sputterd just below 2,500 rpm. I can't take it anymore, I have to drive the car like an old lady, pushing down the accellerator, then off, then on, it sucks.
I don't know if it's a vacuum but no leakse have been detected. All the valves, except for the one on top have been replaced. No codes are coming up either while the car is driving or idle.
I can't figure it out, but one thing I have concluded, I am selling the car. I love the way it drives and for someone who commutes from one of the small towns outside of Birmingham, or a salesman, it is a great car, drives like a dream on the highway, but the surging is a serious concern. I do think MB is shirking responsibility by ignoring the problem. Maybe a lawyer ought to by the car, at least then he can pursue Mercedes at his own expense God forbid, something bad happen. Sad that I have put so much money into the car and I can't find a mechanic that can fix the problem.
As bad as the car surges, I am concerned I or someone else will get hurt.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goatman
Still a vacuum issue...

Stupidy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

Good reason to sell it...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM

1997 mercedes e300d
fixbenz, if you think you can fix my car without replacing unnecessary parts and charging me for repairs that do not fix my problem, I would love to give you the opportunity to prove yourself to me and the others on this site, that you are a really good diesel mechanic. Contact me through private message.
Personally, I think it is an electrical issue with the fuel pump. I don't want to spend $1,000 for a fuel pump and still have to deal with the surging. I have run enough injector cleaner through the system that I doubt it is clogged injectors and if it were a vacuum issue I don't think it would surge violently.
I think it has to do with an electrical problem that Mercedes does not want to admit, that is causing the fuel pump to act irratically, but I am not a mechanic.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Fixbenz - Are there any voltage/amp diagnostic tests that can be used to check operation of the TPS, or it is all done through SDS only?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM

1997 mercedes e300d
OK final synopsis, it was not any of the problems covered by anyone. IT WAS ALGAE! There is an algae that grows in diesel and it had completely covered the intake in the gas tank. There were no signs anywhere that would have indicated an algae in the past, but the car consistently ran poorly when I got to around 1/4 tank, which led me to believe there might be something foriegn covering the intake. Lo and behold, it was algae.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E320 CDI, Jetta 06 TDI, GLS450 20, Boat:2 Volvo TAMD75+1 Kubota genset
Wow! What an ordeal.
Algae is very common in marine diesels due to the big tanks(algae need some condensation to get going, and/or the spores come in the fuel), I ve had clumps 2 inches across growing inside my filters, most systems have a permanent vacumn gage in the fuel line that would have revealed this issue.
Didn t know cars were also victim.