Sponsored by:

e300d lack of performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harkgar
there is one fault with this engine. It has a 62 degree (under 90 degrees anyway) V which means it is not as refined as a right angle formation.

In terms of power it is probably the best diesel engine. MB has killed it though.
I found the S420CDI to be the most refined of any S class. It is the most quiet while driving, and I cannot think of a single fault of the car. I would say MB compensated for any possible lack in refinement with the 62 degree V.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 AM

E300 D
E300D Lack of Performance

Hello,
Back to the original post, I have a 97 E300D 606 Eng. That is a bit of a Dog as well. I am about to reset the adaptive Trany. I am currently researching a ODB II scanner. I have the [MB Vehicle Communication] "Snap On"Manual. They use their MT2500 Scanner. I want to know what scanners out there will give you full access to all of this data in the 190 page manual? Before resetting my Tranny to Default, the manual says I can gain valuable information by looking at the values my tranny adapted to. Further to my Dog issue, my Resonance Flaps are Sh_t. Flipping around like a spastic. On Chapter 5 Engine Parameters, page 126 > a scanner that has proper access will give me some incite to these Resonance flapper. The lovely Surging (96-97) at 55-60mph. There are two sort of transducers that control these flappers, and without such a scanner you have to shot gun them.$$.
On the other hand the MT2500 cost some$$$. Anyone have a cheaper idea for a full access scanner? The MT2500 will record real time data in a log, ect.
Anyone with these motors replace the injectors? IF so, how long do they last

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by Mr.Billyd
Hello,
Back to the original post, I have a 97 E300D 606 Eng. That is a bit of a Dog as well. I am about to reset the adaptive Trany. I am currently researching a ODB II scanner. I have the [MB Vehicle Communication] "Snap On"Manual. They use their MT2500 Scanner. I want to know what scanners out there will give you full access to all of this data in the 190 page manual? Before resetting my Tranny to Default, the manual says I can gain valuable information by looking at the values my tranny adapted to. Further to my Dog issue, my Resonance Flaps are Sh_t. Flipping around like a spastic. On Chapter 5 Engine Parameters, page 126 > a scanner that has proper access will give me some incite to these Resonance flapper. The lovely Surging (96-97) at 55-60mph. There are two sort of transducers that control these flappers, and without such a scanner you have to shot gun them.$$.
On the other hand the MT2500 cost some$$$. Anyone have a cheaper idea for a full access scanner? The MT2500 will record real time data in a log, ect.
Anyone with these motors replace the injectors? IF so, how long do they last

Thanks,
Bill
Try swapping transducers (I think you've got two?). My turbo has one controlling the EGR and another controlling the wastegate. They're identical. The turbo doesnt have resonnance flaps; I suspect you've got one controlling it.

The cheapest full service scanners are those that are software that resides on your home laptop.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM

E300 D
Your correct, I have two transducers. I for the EGR and one for the flaps. I am in the market for a PC based scanner, because I want to see if something is telling the flaper to act freaky. It seems the air Intake temp, Manifold pressure, throttle position, etc could be all over the shop and this transducer is reacting to bogus info.
I did look at the part numbers in the past and they are the same. So I have swapped them and it did seem to improve. Now that I am gathering move information, like when and how they are suppose to open I am a bit wiser of what to look for. Looking at the Snap on manual, I don't think they should be opening and closing . A when the rpms held constant in a certain range, they are either open or closed. On the other hand the EGR valve has a variable range?? Correct?. With the RPMs in a steady state< the EGR should not be jirating Correct? Should be a calm positioning? Anyone out there like their PC based scanner?? Recommend one and where to purchase?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 PM

E300 D
Correction

The 96-97 have 3 resonance flaps. The first one is just after the filter, and is controlled by one of the transducers just next to the same transducer that controls the EGR. Then there is one under the crossover, and there is one more under the main manifold where the crossover connects. The controlling transducers that control these flappers are attached to a mount on the bottom of the main manifold. Fun stuff! I think the best way to see these is on a data logger when the car is driven under load and surging.