Sponsored by:

Is this happening at your MB Service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Is this happening at your MB Service?

This is the second time I've dropped my car in to fix a problem I have been experiencing (1st time, the digital thermostat would keep kicking off the Auto function, 2nd time I was having problems with my passenger side mirror not returning to normal position after lowering to the position I set when I had the car in reverse). Both times after my service I would get a "could not duplicate customer complaint" (with the mirror problem it was happening every time, with the AC it was sporadic, so I thought not too much of it when they couldn't duplicate it) yet both problems were completely fixed when I got my car and have yet to occur again. I'm starting to think they might indeed have found the problem and maybe reporting it this way to possibly make it look like the car is more reliable to MB or any other reporting agency. As long as it's fixed I'm happy, but wondering if this is something happening on a larger scale.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK430
As an MB tech, unable to duplicate problem does arrise often. Although a lot of the problems are customer error or lack of knowledge as to how things should operate. In your case its neither, since there is no fault on your part- only the cars. With that said, mechanics are not payed by the hour, they are flat rate, which means every time we right up something as unable to duplicate, we get paid nothing. So there is no point to just saying could not duplicate when they really did something to fix it, thats like throwing money away. Sometimes just clearing codes will resolve the issue, especially with things like SRS lights and A/C problems. So its possible that they ran codes and cleared any that may have been causing a problem, who knows.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
M-B's official shower-head special tool was "unable to duplicate" my B 200's leaking sunroof after 10 hours under the shower.....so I brought my home garden hose nozzle in and had the leak flowing within 5 minutes. Sometimes I wonder......
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM

2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Originally Posted by epmills
As an MB tech, unable to duplicate problem does arrise often. Although a lot of the problems are customer error or lack of knowledge as to how things should operate. In your case its neither, since there is no fault on your part- only the cars. With that said, mechanics are not payed by the hour, they are flat rate, which means every time we right up something as unable to duplicate, we get paid nothing. So there is no point to just saying could not duplicate when they really did something to fix it, thats like throwing money away. Sometimes just clearing codes will resolve the issue, especially with things like SRS lights and A/C problems. So its possible that they ran codes and cleared any that may have been causing a problem, who knows.

Thanks for the info. I guess that makes more sense than my "conspiracy theory" of trying to get higher JD Power ratings
Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
this is not a conspiracy

Originally Posted by XRAYVSN
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes more sense than my "conspiracy theory" of trying to get higher JD Power ratings

If MB is doing that to make things right again it is fine. My brother had a similar experience with the local Lexus dealer. When he was in to pick up his LS400 after an oil change he was told that his front rotars had been replaced free of charge, under warranty, because of a recall. No special appointments needed. If MB can do the same it will gain a lot of good will.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Quality of service can vary by dealer; mine is second to none: MB at Cherry Hill, NJ.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Quality of service can vary by dealer; mine is second to none: MB at Cherry Hill, NJ.

That same dealer was recently ripped a new one by someone on anohter forum I belong to.

I couldn't say if it was warranted or not, as owners expectations and understanding concerning what it takes to solve complex mechnical problems varies so greatly.