hybrid vs diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise in 330i, ml430, pos malibu 97
hybrid vs diesel!!!

i am doing an article for my school newspaper abouot hybrids and diesels and how hybrids are usless and diesels do more mpg than hybrids.....do u guys have any arguments about this ...comments thank you
Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Hybrids are for city driving.

On long highway trips, all you're doing is carrying around the weight of the batteries.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Almost a Member!

1983 240D 356K, 1985 300D 268K
When a Hyrid reaches the end of it's life there is a lot of toxic waste to dispose of. Hybrids are a scam to make folks feel like they are doing something for the planet. It is just a sales tactic.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yes, there are a lot of dreamers/believers out there these days. "Change," you know.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do research on the diesel engine, it uses compression ignition, which is inheriently much more efficient than the otto cycle (how a gasoline engine runs). Diesels are also more durable, which means less recycling cost (plus no toxic batteries to dispose of) plus less environmental impact from the manufacturing process.

Diesels are extremely efficient on the highway, hybrids only benefit from a lot of stop time or regenerative brake force.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
"Compression ignition" isn't inherently more efficient.

What's more efficient about diesels is

higher compression
use of fuel that contains more energy than gasoline
ability to run at variable fuel/air ratios
no throttle (now available on some gasoline engines)

Yes, a diesel hybrid will be more efficient than a gasoline hybrid.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
"Compression ignition" isn't inherently more efficient.

What's more efficient about diesels is

higher compression
use of fuel that contains more energy than gasoline
ability to run at variable fuel/air ratios
no throttle (now available on some gasoline engines)

Yes, a diesel hybrid will be more efficient than a gasoline hybrid.
Well, you may feel like being argumentative, I am still right, all you did was list various aspects of a compression ignition engine while I only mentioned the concept.

In order to have compression ignition, you need a compression ratio high enough to heat the air hot enough to ignite the fuel, meaning you have a more complete combustion than with the otto-cycle where a good deal is left uncombusted.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM

wants a diesel GLK European Delivery
Originally Posted by stack
i am doing an article for my school newspaper abouot hybrids and diesels and how hybrids are usless and diesels do more mpg than hybrids.....do u guys have any arguments about this ...comments thank you
Weren't the pre-nuclear submarines diesel electric? So before you say "...how hybrids are usless.. " I would look at some history before you trash such an important part of our WWII navy.

OK, I am just yanking your chain, (well there is some serious history there; check it out) but it might be nice to expand your view to include both.

A diesel-hybird would offer a very efficient option.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM

1999 e300td
A diesel-hybird would offer a very efficient option.[/QUOTE]

You are "CORRECT SIR" diesel electric is also touted loudly by the rail industry
as the reason their per ton cost are so low, but they should mention their sole
advantage of having "steel on steel" near 0 rolling resistance. I do expect to see over the road diesel rigs to be fitted with DC generators and wheel drives
in lew of transmissions and differentials in the future. Similar to the current diesel electric train, which could be (IN a perfect world) nuclear powered.
To give my 2cents to the hybrid debate, diesel electric would be the logical choice of hybridizing but for ignorance, bias and greed. I cant leave out GM's
attempt to wow the auto industry in the mid 70s with their diesel
(thing) cant really call it an engine.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM

MBs
Orion diesel electric hybrid bus

Daimler makes a number of diesel electric hybrids. Here's an info file about the Orion VII diesel electric hybrid bus which is in revenue service in San Francisco since 2006, and New York City, and Toronto, and is developed with BAE Systems, Cummins and A123 Systems' lithium ion battery technology.

http://www.dcbusna.com/Projects/c2c/...on_Q2_2008.pdf

Those in Toronto had some difficulties was reported recently, and may need to switch from the lead acid to lithium-ion batteries for better reliability, or back to diesel according to this article:

http://www.timesoftheinternet.com/13179.html

Last edited by Wolfgang; 10-25-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 AM

MBs
Schematic Orion VII hybrid bus

PS. The schematic...

The Orion VII is a series hybrid, similar to the Chevy Volt range extended electric vehicle (RE-EV).

Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
I was in an emissions class recently and the teacher was discussing hybrids and possibilities of the future. I mentioned diesel technology. He argued that if diesel fuel prices stayed as high as they were or were to rise again that no one would buy diesels. But again I have to disagree. Volkswagen TDIs have been and still are getting 50mpg. Who isn't going to want mileage like that and how many hybrids can boast mileage like that? And I'm not talking miniature hybrids, I'm talking normal sized cars. Not only that, but the Mercedes BlueTech diesels among a lot of newer diesel technology is a lot cleaner running than it ever used to be. The wise thing to do would be to lower the cost of diesel fuel. Even the ultra low sulfur diesel is still a less refined fuel than regular gasoline...so what's with the high cost!??!?