Sponsored by:

hello guys! i need help with 1971 220 diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slc 450, s500, 380se,
hello guys! i need help with 1971 220 diesel

I have a chance to buy a 1971 220 diesel that has 21,000 original miles, but its been sitting for 15 years! It runs somtimes its cold now so would not start, what should I expect? And what do you guys think
Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240D
Have you bought the car already? I would not pay more than a couple thousand for it. There's going to be lots of stuff wrong. Also, does the seller have actual maintenance records to show it's really only 21,000?

1. Check everything made out of rubber or plastic. Every gasket, every hose, every vacuum line, every insulated cable, engine mounts, tires. Most likely you will find some rotten or too soft that needs replaced. Definitely new tires.

2. Check the radiator. It may be rusted out from sitting so long.

3. Flush all the fluids really really well. Watch what comes out to see if it's sludgy--really sludgy things might need replaced. On a diesel, you are sorta lucky there, as the diesel fuel is more like oil, it tends to preserve stuff like fuel pumps that would seize in a gas car from sitting so long.

4. Vacuum system is likely crummy, they're just plastic lines that get smashed in the door hinge or torn on the window tracks. If door locks don't work, it's because the vacuum system is leaking--which also means it will be a dog on the highway. Chasing vacuum leaks is a pain in the neck, you have to tear the door apart. Parts aren't expensive, labor is.

5. Glow plugs may need replaced if they are original loop-style. That's an easy job though.

In New Jersey, you will want a block heater if you don't have a heated garage. It may already even have one, the cables tend to snap off from people being not-very-careful with them though.

Good luck.