Sponsored by:

'87 300TD - Repair or Sell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300TD
'87 300TD - Repair or Sell?

I thought going through a cyclinder head crack 3 years ago (replaced with updated head) would make my favorite car bullet proof forever. Only 215,000 miles and in amazing condition (though clear coat just starting to give way - frequently detailed). We've owned this car for 17 years and it only had 24,000 when we purchased it. Maintained it by the book and already replaced shocks, front end, typical wear items.

But, on a trip from San Diego my son noticed smoking...then Lots of smoking. Luckily got it to favorite repair shop, but apparently head gasket gave at #1 cylinder allowing oil into it and simultainously starving the turbo of oil (yes, it needs replacing, but housing is fine). Never ran hot, oil light only briefly came on (1 block from repair shop). Garage initially put just under 5 quarts of oil in at the time.

Repair shop is quoting $600 to take off head, and then probably $1k ~ $2k to do all engine repairs. Plus AC compressor finally developed a diagnosable leak ($700 with regular R12 installed). Everything else is great, new Euro glass headlamps, brand new GoodYear tires on chrome SL rims, interior spotless, 3rd seat, excellent interior, two dings on exterior.

Repair shop offered $1k for purchase, Sacramento repair place offered $2 ~ 3k for purchase after seeing pictures. Totally torn on what to do.

Would really appreciate comments & thoughts. Still preferred this one over our 2001 320E wagon - better ride, better MPG, bigger cargo area. But it's not a spring chicken. Suggestions?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Its hard ,but sometimes we have to consider biting the bullet on our old comfortable friends.

The way I have looked at this situation in the past is not worrying about the low value of the vehicle but instead weighing the cost of repair Vs the likely depreciation of the replacement car , especially if it is a new one.

If you think that the $3000 + you will spend will keep the car running for a couple of years then it is good value. Any longer you are in front.

I think it also depends on how much work the car is to do in the future. You should not flog an old horse. If she is the second car & not doing many miles then it is an added reason to have the repair done.

One reason to update is the safety aspect , the modern car has lots of airbags, self tightening seatbelts ect , therefore you have a greater chance of surviving a bad accident .

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by Carsy; 07-22-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
I have an 83' 280TE with 409000kms, she has just gone in for a complete engine and gearbox re-newal. It's costing me Zar 38000,00 Rand. This car has served our family so well that I could never let her go. I still prefer the older Mercedes wagons(S/W123/124) to newer models.

I hope you keep her.