Sponsored by:

2012 SLK250 CDI, 100% UnAmerican

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Sport
Originally Posted by Cran
Sorry, you don't have any clue what you're talking about.

The only common part between the gas 350 and diesel 350 is the valvecovers.

Please do. That will prevent you from making such a fool of yourself!

*buzz* WRONG!

Don't talk about things you know nothing of and I won't need to correct you.

The olds 350 was pure diesel, just a very poorly built one. EVERYTHING but the valvecovers is unique to the diesel. The block, crank, rods, heads, etc are all pure diesel.
So, as suggested, please do a google search next time.
Yes, Cran you are correct about the Olds 350 diesel, it WASN'T a conversion, as so many believe! It's interesting how Americans get hooked on a miss belief and hold on to it until death instead of educating themselves.

Anyway, I would buy the SLK 250 cdi if it were available in the States, wake up Mercedes Benz and let us have it all, not what you think we need!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by clkwork
Thanks, I really enjoyed that article. I think the biggest hangup for diesel is the perceived lack of fill-up stations and the price premium over gasoline. For me, I just like high revving engines and diesel doesn't deliver.
Forgot the rpm and go for the torque!

You should try 335d they can keep with carrera 911 at highway speeds till a certain high speed, but you can remap it (380hp) and R8, 911, etc will get behind!

Here in Europe we have heavily tuned diesel cars, with small engines, specially the VW 1.9TDI, with bi-turbo systems that have 350HP. If we go to MB v8 420CDI or Audi and BMW bi-turbo v8, only with a remap, many super cars will have a hard time to go away from them, if they can!

You can look on the Tuikku thread and you can see what he have done to achieve almost 300Hp from his 200CDI!

PS: I have a CLK 320 CDI and I love it, like the other three diesel cars at home, but also have a 8000rpm V8 for sunday blasts!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Cool

Originally Posted by Barcud
Hyperion, I agree the SLK is somewhat of a girl's car.
But I'd grab a CLK Diesel convertible in a heartbeat though.
Also, I think it's a combo of regulation and perception that keeps
the oil burners out of the US generally. And believe it or not, our
"clean" diesel is still dirtier than Europe's (from what I understand),
and this causes issues with emmission control *designs*
Hey Bar, you may want to check your sources. Europe diesels use common rail and urea injection to clean up their emissions. I drive an 11' GL 350 Bluetec. Last time I looked it is common rail and has an adblue tank that injects urea into the exhaust to clean up the emissions. No problems or issues with the emissions at all. VW, BMW, Audi and Benz all use it in Europe. We have it here only limited due to the American public's skewed view of diesels from--yes GM's crap diesels of the 70's. Converted or not converted...doesn't matter, no one cares. Everyone remembers them as sh&t!. You couldn't give your car away if it had a diesel power plant back then.

That being said, today's diesels are far superior to those old diesels in terms of torque, lack of smell, and economy. Go test drive one. You will be blown away.

Now for a comment on the SLK. Better looking and slightly less girly looking than the previous models. I'm 6'4" and can actually fit in this model. Come on MBUSA, bring us a manual tranny in the V6 version. If you only want to sell to girls and little old ladies keep the manual away and the guys will buy BMW's in the US. Yes I have a Z4 with 6 speed manual. I hear one is coming in the 4 banger turbo. We shall see. Bring on the diesel. I love mine. I have had an 07 ML 320 CDI, 08 GL 320 CDI and now the 11 GL 350 Bluetec and have loved all of them for the torque and economy.

Cheers.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK250 BlueTec
SLK 250 CDI NEEDED HERE.... PLEASE

Well as an owner of a GLK250, i wish they would at least allow special order of the diesel SLK. I have wanted a SLK for a few years now. I like how they look, sorry i know a lot of people do not. to each his own. i know some say girl car, whatever, hate if you must. i still like them and still want one. i know some say get a boxster or z4 some other convertible, i dont want those and wont spend my money on them. sorry i want a MB and yes i would love an SL (who wouldn't) but sorry way out of my price range. would i like the amg55 slk, oh yes however i do not need 435hp v8 as much as i might want it... what i really want is a car that will get me over 50mpg on the highway!! with enough power and pickup to pass when i need to. i would order the slk250 cdi tomorrow if they let me. i love my glk 250 bluetec, but i dont want to rip off the top and make it a convertible. i want MB to let me order my slk, that i want! how about making me a test vehicle to drive around and tell everyone how great it is, and in turn i will make monthly payments for the vehicle.... just sayin. some of this country are ready for this diesel to come across the pond. please please pick me to test market.