Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 e320 blutec diesel large oil leak. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
2008 e320 blutec diesel large oil leak. Any ideas?

Drove the car on a short trip and noticed a bunch of oil dipping from the car when we got home. Looks like its leaking on the passenger side. oil must have been hitting the tire as the front passenger wheel well is pretty coated. Largest pool of oil at the rear of the passenger wheel well.

But what I thought was odd is that there is a smaller pool by the passenger rear tire.. I can see some oil on the passenger door skirt. Maybe it flowed to the rear tire. It was too dark to really see much(plus underside of the engine looks pretty covered up/hard to see.) Any ideas?

The dealer is about 5 mi from my house, but I think I will have the car towed. I hope it will be covered under the extended warranty we bought.. Does not sound like a cheap fix..
Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by mrbill2084
The dealer is about 5 mi from my house, but I think I will have the car towed. I hope it will be covered under the extended warranty we bought.. Does not sound like a cheap fix..
A tow is the best choice,IMO.Cheap fix? From Mercedes-Benz? If it's under an extended warranty it's hard to imagine it not being covered.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300D-turbo "Bonnie"
Originally Posted by listerone
A tow is the best choice,IMO.Cheap fix? From Mercedes-Benz? If it's under an extended warranty it's hard to imagine it not being covered.
I agree, it should be 100% covered by the extended warranty. I cant imagine though what would be leaking so bad on a 4yr old car!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
There is an PCV hose seal near the inlet to the turbo that is a common issue.
That usually causes most to think it's a rear main seal, leaving drip marks everywhere. It can be a cheap enough fix, though probably not at a dealer.

Not sure of your rear area leak? Never heard of that one. Unless it is from the front and the wind blew it back as you drove, then dripped there when you stopped?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mrbill2084
Drove the car on a short trip and noticed a bunch of oil dipping from the car when we got home. Looks like its leaking on the passenger side. oil must have been hitting the tire as the front passenger wheel well is pretty coated. Largest pool of oil at the rear of the passenger wheel well.

But what I thought was odd is that there is a smaller pool by the passenger rear tire.. I can see some oil on the passenger door skirt. Maybe it flowed to the rear tire. It was too dark to really see much(plus underside of the engine looks pretty covered up/hard to see.) Any ideas?

Check area around Oil Filler Cap but you will need to pull off the cover to check if there is oil around the filler cap.