Sponsored by:

Water pump SNAFU from hell. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 280 SL
Water pump SNAFU from hell. Help!

I am replacing the water pump, belt tensioner, pulleys, and thermostat in my 2005 E320 CDI. The parts came from ECS. Breaking it down was a snap thanks to the pdf's some kind member here posted.

However, I had a major screwup when I started to torque down the small and large bolts on the new pump itself. My friend and I purchased a new torque wrench from Northern and did not notice it was calibrated in ft/pounds not nm. Yep, you got it. Two small and one large screw stripped! Arghhhhhhhh. The screws came back out ok, but I noticed the very ends of the screws had their threads stripped.

My question is-

If the last three threads are stripped does that mean that the engine threads are still intact and that I can just replace the screws and properly torque them down again. This would mean that the engine is not aluminum and the screws are softer than the engine, right? Am figuring I can try and blow out the holes with air and retry.

What other options do I have?

One other joy. The Graf water pump came with a crushable gasket- can I reuse it after removing the new pump for inspection? Also, the pump came with two holes for the two pulleys to mount on, but one of the holes was NOT TAPPED. Can I do this myself or should I take it to a machine shop. Approx. cost?

Thanks for the help~