Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Yep. It's all good.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question A Trailer Hitch?

Originally Posted by bgalakazam

Is there this iron thing on the back (forgot word in English) on which I can attach a U-Haul trailer (the smallest one)?

In American, it is called a 'trailer hitch'. I have never seen one on a CDI,
but that does not mean that there are no CDIs that have them.

With the power the CDIs have, there is no reason that a person could not pull whatever they wanted.
I would not hesitate at all. The high torque we have at 1800 rpm (60 mph) is unreal!

You would need to install a trailer hitch prior to doing so of course.

DHG
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM

Question Getting 'Off the Dime'

Originally Posted by kurtismayfield
Yep. It's all good.

Kurtis,

I'm afraid one of us will pass away from old age before our lady friend gets off the dime and deals.

What a shame. We'll never know whether or not she ever 'saw-the-light'!

Derrel
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Joe Reitman
The particular car I am looking at is a MB CPO.

A MB cert tech friend said he thought the CPO would include a 4 year 100,000 mile limited warranty. If this is correct, could you all please confirm? Thanks

I am hoping this might be indicated clearly in paperwork in the possession of the seller...

If you are talking CPO then you are not looking at a 2006!! They are too old for CPO. Dealer can only CPO within 5 years I believe. Someone check me. And, the CPO is good for 1 year up to 135,000 miles. You can purchase a 2 year extended warranty before your CPO runs out for another $2295 msrp (slightlly negotiable)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300cd
thanks for replying Kurtis- I apologize that I was unclear- it WAS a CPO when the owner bought it 4 years ago.

anyone have any further thoughts on the reliability questions? thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Joe Reitman
Ladies and gentlemen I have read this thread with great interest. I too have been looking for a new MB diesel

Joe, to throw in a comment or two is OK, but to completely take over someone elses thread is considered rude. It is called hijacking a thread!

You see, CZ started her own thread asking for advice and received it. She did not jump into a thread started by someone else. What she is looking for and what you are asking about are different subjects.

So, to be fair to CZ, that she not be lost in her own thread, you should start a thread of your own and all will be good. Please continue to contribute to CZ's thread as you follow a parallel course but the comment should relate in some way to her subject & comments.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM

1983 300cd
10-4. see new thread. no harm meant...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Question Off the radar

Mr Mayfield,

It might appear that our lady friend has disappeared?

Will we ever learn IF she ever made it into the CDI World?

DHG
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM

2006 E320 CDI
I know she is not in any rush. That is the best way to do it. I spent about 10 months looking, reading and driving. In fact I did not join the forum until after I made my purchase.

When I saw this title at the top again I thought it was her announcement until I saw your name as the last to post!

I read the forum almost daily, so I see it whenever it shows up!

Cheers
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Me Too

I did the same thing, but for a much longer period.

I've wanted a CDI since I first became aware of them in '04, but could not afford one then.

Even when we bought the new '10 VW JSW TDI in February, 2010, a good used CDI was priced
higher than what we paid for the VW. But by December 2011, the JSW was worth more
(market value) than the used CDI I found locally, so I sold the JSW to Carmax for
slightly more than what the original owner was asking for his 2005 CDI.
Turned out he was 35 miles South of my location here in Southern California and as you may know,
CDIs were not sold here new in either 2005 or 2006 because of the strict California smog laws.
So every CDI you see here in California started out being bought new out-of-state.
There aren't very many here in California either because of that. I leally lucked out!

I am simply affaid that she might delay her purchase too long and simply miss out altogether.

DHG
Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 142 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Because it's a W211, it's a piece of trash regardless of the engine. CDIs and the 5 speed make it even more of a piece of trash..
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Exclamation A Really DUMB Statement

Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Because it's a W211, it's a piece of trash regardless of the engine. CDIs and the 5 speed make it even more of a piece of trash . . .

Especially when one considers what the person who made it is driving, A W-211 himself!

Of course, he does not really know anything about these cars except where the D2 goes and how to make
dumb remarks. I thought I was talking to someone with some 'smarts', but I was most certainly wrong.

FYI . . ALL E-Class Mercedes Benzs beginning with model year 2003 and through model year 2009 are W-211s!
That does include your 2007 E320 Bluetec now doesn't it?

But I am older. So what do I know?

DHG
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Because it's a W211, it's a piece of trash regardless of the engine. CDIs and the 5 speed make it even more of a piece of trash..

Was it not your mother who said, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

Probably nerver listened to your mother, did you?
Friends

DubVBenz has not made any friends yet

Last edited by kurtismayfield; 04-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Arrow Small Wonder

Originally Posted by kurtismayfield
Was it not your mother who said, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

Probably never listened to your mother, did you?
Friends

DubVBenz has not made any friends yet

And we wonder why?

For certain he won't listen to us then, will he?

DHG
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 142 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
No **** it's a w211, why do you think I know it's a piece of trash,I drive one too! Unless Mercedes has stepped up their game on the newer models, I won't be buying them in the future. This piece of junk can't hold a candle to a w126. Despite knowing this,I purchased this chariot for the engine, not what was attached to it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Don't know your story...but mine has been very positive. No issues except for the transmission module leak thing ($56) and thermostat ($53) I've put 30K miles on it in 18 months. Two single tank trips to Boston and one to Minneapolis! Several trips to Louisville, Lexington and Indianapolis. Love the mpg's. I'm a torqueoholic now. Screw flying, I'd rather drive.

Has all options except distronic, vented seats, rear side window blinds. The pano roof is silent. Active curve is cool, trunk closer closes, AC is cold. Can haul quite a bit with fold down seats. Love the feel of the wood wheel in my hands. Original brake pads. Second set of tires.

Fairly easy to work on as it is the I6. I monitor with Torque PRO and an OBDII bluetooth adapter. Thats what gave me true temps leading to thermostat replacement.

Sorry that your experience has not been similar. I was initially looking at a 2007 Bluetec but didn't like the exterior changes. After I heard others complain of the tranny searching at times, the DPF and the lower mpg's, I changed my hunting to the I6's. When I saw one in Obsidian Black the search was over.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up That is How CDIs Are

Well said Kurtis.

Talked at length by phone just yesterday morning early with my other brother Darryl in
Maryland who also has a CDI, and I agree, the way both of you speak of the CDIs.
Darryl is a mechanic, and really knows these CDIs.

Sure, they all have certain common minor problems, but once those are corrected, that is it, no
more problems. Considering these relatively minor problems and how easy they are to fix and
what we have after those minor repairs are done, there are no finer machines available IMHO.

This month, I turn 77 and have been a certified 'car nut' even long before I got my license at age 16.
I've had all kinds of cars over the last 60 years plus, so feel qualified to comment.
From a Austin Bantam to a BMW 750 iL V12 to Corvettes through Volvos (Yellow T5R) you name it,
I've probably had it, but this old MBZ is the best.
BTW, 17 of these vehicles have been diesels beginning with my first, a '61 190Db bought used in '66.

Once anyone gets a CDI and straightens out these relatively minor problems, and they all have
them sooner or later, but usually by now, most all of them have been corrected
by their original owners, there is no better car IMHO.
I've never had any full sized vehicle that could be driven accross country at
very high speeds full loaded on one tank of fuel for almost 800 miles.
We did that last summer over a three week trip from Southern California to the Kenora area
of Ontario (Lake of the Woods), traveling almost 5K miles and fueling up only 7 times.
What other quality full sized car can do that and average over 36 mpg in so doing?
None that I know about.

The relatively few of us that own these fine automobiles know and that's why we love these CDIs.

Derrel
Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM

none
And so, the final chapter in this long story is this:

I am now the proud owner of a 2005 CDI E320, pewter/stone, fully loaded, 115k miles, and every bit as beautiful as I could have hoped it would be.

Some might think I'm crazy for buying a car from NY, but it is a rare car indeed. I drove it down to Baltimore, where it will reside until I can get a few more days off to drive it the rest of the day. I can tell you it was one of the nicest 3 1/2 hour drives of my life, despite a bit of rain (rain sensing windshield wipers?! Who knew I needed this?!) The only complaint I have is a minor one which will just take some adjustment: I kept hitting the cruise control every time I wanted to change lanes! I knew going in that it would be a thing, so at least I wasn't unprepared.

Thank you to those who enabled me - you know who you are. The advice given over the past five months has been invaluable. If anyone is interested in the options, let me know and I'll be glad to list.

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Exclamation Congratulations

Originally Posted by czienkosky
And so, the final chapter in this long story is this:
[Depends on how you look at it. It really is simply the beginning!]

I am now the proud owner of a 2005 CDI E320, pewter/stone, fully loaded, 115k miles,
and every bit as beautiful as I could have hoped it would be.

Some might think I'm crazy for buying a car from NY, but it is a rare car indeed.
I drove it down to Baltimore, where it will reside until I can get a few more days off to drive it the rest of the way.
I can tell you it was one of the nicest 3 1/2 hour drives of my life, despite a bit of rain (rain sensing windshield wipers?!
Who knew I needed this?!) The only complaint I have is a minor one which will just take some adjustment:
I kept hitting the cruise control every time I wanted to change lanes!
I knew going in that it would be a thing, so at least I wasn't unprepared.

Thank you to those who enabled me - you know who you are.
The advice given over the past five months has been invaluable.
If anyone is interested in the options, let me know and I'll be glad to list.

Cheers!

Of course, we are most interested in the options!

I am sure your 'new' car has options that are not on mine, and by now you know what we were talking about.
You will learn about the 'confusion' caused by the cruise control and the direction signals levers being placed
so closely together. I still hit one while meaning to use the other on occasion. I have tried to 'feel' which
one in larger than the other. That seems to help me somewhat.

What are the last six of your VIN? Mine is 721169. Trying to determine when it was constructed.
Mine was built in November, 2004.It was first sold new in February 2005, so its been in service for eight
and one third years now with almost 141K miles. Of that, I've put on 33k of that total, mine having
108K when I bought it from the original owner in December, 2011

So good luck with your new car! We hope that you are as happy with it as we are with ours. I am sure you will be.
Welcome to a rather small group of satisfied MBZ owners.
You will soon understand why those of us with diesels are more satisfied than those with the gassers.
Three and one half hours? Bet you only used about one third of a tank, right?

Derrel
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM

none
Alright, here goes...
2005 pewter/stone leather
Bi-xenon headlights with washers
Pano roof
Leather/wood steering wheel
DVD Command Navigation
Dynamic seating
Heated and active ventilated front seating
Phone system with VCS
Keyless go
Harman Kardon sound
Split rear seating

I'll have to get you the last four of the VIN when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it was built in 8/2004.
Question and comments welcome!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 397 Likes on 333 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by czienkosky
Alright, here goes...
2005 pewter/stone leather
Bi-xenon headlights with washers
Pano roof
Leather/wood steering wheel
DVD Command Navigation
Dynamic seating
Heated and active ventilated front seating
Phone system with VCS
Keyless go
Harman Kardon sound
Split rear seating

I'll have to get you the last four of the VIN when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it was built in 8/2004.
Question and comments welcome!
Sounds nice!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Comgrats CZ, sounds heavenly. I llike the color combo! Is it home yet? How is the ride? Is it all you thought it would be?

I have mostly the same list of options except the keyless go & vented/dynamic seats. I would really like to have those seats. I also have the trunk closer.
Your patience paid off in spades!

Sorry for not chiming in sooner. Well I tried a few days ago and right at the end I somehow lost the the thing. Grrrrr. It takes me a very long time to type these out and make the many corrections before sending so I didn't get right to it. My eyes have been failing here of late at an accelerated tate. Cannot drive anymore and it is very depressing...

Currently, I am in Indianapolis for surgery (double cornea transplant) that may help save my vision and get me back on the road !! I spens most of my time on my back looking at the ceiling. I have just gotten the OK to use the tv & pc sparingly today because of the associated eye strain. You may be thinking that things must be going well if I can type this out and send it but wait a minute, to accomplish this feat of visual dexterity, I use Windows7 in high contrast display (white letters on a black backgtound), magnification increased from 100% to 400% and a 5" hand glass x5 power....and it is still as blurry as after a night on the town in college. So I'm not there yet.

Od course we brought my car as I refused to travel 5 hours in her C-Max hybrid!

I want pictures next

Cheers

Last edited by kurtismayfield; 05-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM

none
Last 6 of the VIN:

I was in such a hurry that I only got one picture of it from the side, and not a terribly good one at that. I'm picking it up at the end of the month and will post pictures then. I'm actually kind of glad that I don't have it with my at the moment. With all of the hail and weather we've been having around here lately, it would break my heart to have hail damage so soon. It would be garaged at night, but during the day while I'm at work, there is no cover ;(.

Sad to hear that your sight has been failing you, my friend. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon!