Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > Diesel Forum
Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized >

Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized

Notices
Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized

Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 PM
ot1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 e320
Speaking of incorrect oil, service interval is roughly 10,000 miles if you are using Synthetic oil, but half that if using non synthetic. Hyundai has the same interval specifying synthetic on the new Sonata. I caught the Hyundai dealer putting in conventional oil, then he argued, said it was the correct oil,I told him but its not synthetic, and the manual specifies the type which is synthetic, it changes the service interval significantly. It was Like talking to a brick wall.

So was the Mercedes dealer using the correct oil or putting in a cheaper oil, lower interval oil.
The following users liked this post:
krd2023 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1 View Post
My engine OM642 did seize due to sucking some water and I am not blaming Stuttgart for this
Out of curiosity I took the engine with 180,000 miles apart and beside need for cleaning intake flaps, I did not see why the engine would not make it to million miles.
That is why I tend to believe that it takes major screw -up to kill this engine, but my engine was pre-DEF version, when all those reported seized are newer models, so maybe there is a difference?
Sounds to me you don't understand that Stuttgart MB headquarters are not responsible for US Joe putting not recommended oil.
Comparing the clarity of dealer changed and my oil changed oil after a few miles, mine looks much clearer!
Diesel is typically dark even after changing. I found that thereís oil old up in the filter housing. I sucked it out and poured fresh oil into the filter housing. I think the oil was only partially changed, an incomplete drain.

in speaking with many service managers, they didnít know thereís another oil for the bluetec and also the invoices are automated to have a specific oil even if itís not used. At least viewing from the filler, engine is clean. Filter has some varnish deposits at 110,000 miles.

it seems like the norm that large companies will ignoring or has lighting the complaints from minorities in this case diesel owners. MB did have a class action on the gas engines 1990-2000 era when it when to long OCI on the gas engine.
you might have better luck on Facebook.

my flapper motor and plastic links needed to be replaced at 80000 miles due carbon build up and brittle plastic. Turbo at 85000. Rear oil seal leaking at 70,000. Transmission not engaging on very cold days (0 to 10 F) May have always been that way but moved to cold-moderate winter area. DPF and no Urea.
krd2023 (05-17-2019)
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 996 C4S, 13 GL550
So, I'm looking to replace my 13 X166 GL550 with a 15 GL350. After reading this thread, I'm plain scared.

What percentage of these motors have this issue (early failure). Is it like the infamous IMS bearing issue on the 996 Porsche that affected less than 5% of them?

The vehicle I am looking has has had no issues, has had regular 10k or there about oil changes with A0019893701. It was always a Texas vehicle (warm to hot weather). I had it PPI by the local MB dealership with a clean bill of health paying special attention to the oil cooler for leaks, cracks and known issues with the DEF tank, pump and heater and the DPF. Nothing found. The VMI shows no issues related to the engine, etc.

Can I reasonable expect with 5k oil changes, 229.52 or a CK-4 15w40, DEF toped off, Diesel gas treatment at all fill-ups, using 3-5% Biodiesel and engine flushes prior to each oil change (it's due for one now) and remove the bottom splash pan and cosmetic engine cover (better cooling) to not have these issues with this new purchase, Or, should I just get the GL/GLS450 and deal with the pooer fuel economy?

What, if anything, am I missing (it's quite a long thread to read).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by C63-USA; Yesterday at 08:15 AM.
krd2023 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2013 Smart ED, 2005 E320 4matic Estate, 2005 C240 4MATIC
I'm not trying to diminish anyone's bad experience, because these are real problems, but generally speaking this appears to be a statistically insignificant occurrence. It is also likely caused by poor practices at the dealers at which they were serviced.

With the number of these engines out there, literally millions, we have only heard of a few such occurrences. Taking into account the ones we haven't heard of, maybe there have been a couple dozen in total.

I think the problem stems from dealers using inexperienced staff/technicians to do a 'simple' oil change, and likely because of the similar nomenclature to gas models (ie the '350'), that the wrong oil was used OR the dealers cheaped-out and used Mobil 1 ESP, which does not perform as well as the MB-branded oil, in that is get about half the life before it starts to oxidize. So, I we bring our OM642s in for their 15,000Km (9,329 miles) oil change interval, as is appropriate, then we have been driving for 5,000kms on degraded Mobil 1 OR 15,000kms on an oil that does not have adequate soot-holding properties and is subject to heavy sludge build-up in the pan and passages.

On my R320 CDI, I have 220,000kms, although it's not a bluetec, it actually has heavier EGR which is worse than the bluetec. I do oil changes every 18,000 - 20,000kms and it still runs like a dream. I generally use Amsoil 5W40 but the MB-branded oil has very comparable results from oil analysis. If you're doing 5K oil changes, then the Mobil 1 ESP is just fine.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 996 C4S, 13 GL550
Thanks for the reply Marc. I also have noticed that despite the new GLS350d being available in the rest of the world, it hasn't been offered in the 3 models years since the model's nomenclature change. An article penned in 2016 indicated that there were issues with the EPA compliance. Seems odd to drop the motor from the lineup just in North America.