Sponsored by:

W210 320cdi poor crank when warm and limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 w210 320cdi
W210 320cdi poor crank when warm and limp mode

Hello and first of all pardon me for my possibly bad English; since im from Finland.

So, to the issue:

Background:

-320cdi
-2001 facelift
-297000km driven
-crank- and camshaft position sensors replaced
-maf recently by old owner
-turbo and cylinder head due to egr fail -> all changed and egr disabled via ecu and mechanical plug
- motor flush + oils and filter
- transmission oils
- less than a year old battery is (stress) tested -> all good

So the actual problem is that the engine cranks bad when its warm. Now that they changed cps/cam pos. sens. it cranks little bit more frisky, but when warm; problem is still there. Should i change the start motor next? Battery voltage is ~8 when cranking and 13 when driving.

The garage fixed some fuel leak next to rail pipe/or something like that and one Fuel gasket are to be replaced next week.

Second problem is that the automatic gearbox goes into limp mode/ it changes bigger gear fast and kickdown isnt working. When i stop and restart, problem goes away for awhile until randomly it comes back.

When the transmission works fine, all power is there and car runs normally.

Sucks to have ~200hp diesel when all the Japanese rice-cups overtakes all the time

Last thought: is it just me or is there a big turbo lag on such big (3.2l) engine? I feel like its only 2700-3000rpm when it pulls hard and the best pull is over 3500rpm.

Compairing to wife's 2.2dci laguna which pulls waaaay friskier and from like 2100rpm. Merc has more power at higher rpm tho.

Thanks for your time

-Happy merc owner from Finland
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Regarding starting, the voltage is way low. I would try and swap out(trial) a different battery---what is the result?

Regarding the shifting\limp mode, that is not a good sign and once again I would suggest you find some one with factory software and scan the transmission--is it mechanical or electrical limp mode that is causing the issue---what is it?

Watch out for leechers and spammers who suggest new fluid and filter and flushing the TCU or taking fan blades off your fan!!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
As above, try new battery first (low voltage can cause weird gremlins). Then pull the fault codes. Checking ATF level and penetration to TCU is still good advice but in your case it sounds like 'regular' limp mode which can be caused by hundreds of reasons...

Why not register in Finnish MB forum, we have there pretty good network of forum members around the country, who can help with their star diagnose devices.