Sponsored by:

Advice needed on 2013 E350BT nearing end of Extd Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Advice needed on 2013 E350BT nearing end of Extd Warranty

My extended warranty will expire by this August or 160,000 KM (100,000 miles).

The vehicle has been serviced and maintained by the Mercedes dealer throughout the past 4 years. All prescribed transmission service, fuel filter changes etc have been done.

I had several repairs covered by the extended warranty:
1. Replace the comfort access to the driver door.
2. DEF sensor replaced.
3. Both rear radar sensors replaced due to corrosion.
4. Faulty lane departure repaired.

Since 2015 on several occasions whilst existing the highway on the exit ram, the Command screen and instrument cluster would blacked out for a second and a warning message would flash for a few seconds: "Do Not Shift Gear. Transmission Service Required. Contact Dealer".
This happened at least 5 times since 2015 but each time I sent in to the dealer they could not find any fault. Most times the computer does not retain any fault code. But once the scan by the dealer found an error code #: 643A00 indicating "There is a fault in the control unit (ISM)".

As the vehicle is nearing the end of the extended warranty I have to decide whether to keep it and drive it for the next few years or trade it in.

In view of the above unsolved issues I am hoping for advice from anyone who has experience with their Diesel vehicles after the warranty is expired.

I loved the excellent fuel economy of this car and it has been so far never left me stranded due to mechanical issues.

My one concern is will the transmission fail in the near future or the engine seized up as I have been reading hear in this forum?
I have asked my Service Adviser and he thinks the engine should be fine as it has been regularly service by them. He thinks that I should not be too concerned about carbon deposit or sludge build up.

Should I take the chance and keep it for the long haul since Mercedes is not bring any new Diesel vehicles for now?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If it were mine, I would sell the car to someone ---"who has to drive an MB" as you aren't going to squat on a trade.
The following users liked this post:
DC-IT (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by Plutoe
If it were mine, I would sell the car to someone ---"who has to drive an MB" as you aren't going to squat on a trade.
You're right about the miserable trade-in value which is CAD$19,000.00!