Sponsored by:

Oil additive tested in W164

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 W164 2010 Bluetec
Oil additive tested in W164

Hi everyone, I just got 100.000 miles and despite some small issues like small leaks and the tailgate, everything is working good in my ML350 bluetec. At this point I was wondering if someone here has experience with oil additives to improve the performance and reduce the wear in the OM642. Currently I use Mobil1 5w30 MB 229.51

I was thinking in some additives like Liqui moly Ceratec. I'm open to listen opinions about,

Best regards
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 PM

ML 350 W164 2010 Bluetec
Ceratec

Finally I decided to test the Ceratec from liqui moly, after 100km the engine seems to work better and softer, although I just put 1 can of ceratec (suppose to treat 6 liters of oil, and my W164 wear 8.5) so until here have been a good experience.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Originally Posted by rodrigpdiaz
Finally I decided to test the Ceratec from liqui moly, after 100km the engine seems to work better and softer, although I just put 1 can of ceratec (suppose to treat 6 liters of oil, and my W164 wear 8.5) so until here have been a good experience.

How will you judge if the engine is wearing less?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
How will you know?

Most independent oil experts (IE- tribologists, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers) recommend NOT using supplemental oil additives. Even if they reduce wear that's only one factor in the equation. They can and probably do alter an oils additive package. Wear protection is only one element to be concerned with.

Besides, how will you know if it's doing anything? Seat-of-the pants feeling is only anecdotal. Is it the placebo effect your feeling? How will you know if it's actually reducing engine wear and not messing up the oil chemistry? Maybe that's why MB doesn't recommend anything.

Unfortunately I don't think your experiment will prove anything of scientific value. But it may make you feel better at the expense of your wallet.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:21 PM

ML 350 W164 2010 Bluetec
Ceratec

Originally Posted by arto_wa
How will you judge if the engine is wearing less?

Its hard to prove if the engine will reduce the wear because I´m not an expert mechanic, I only can tell you what´s my experience after 250 kms using the car in a very extreme wheather ( - 5 ºC during night +25 ºC day) that`s why iI decided to test it, to see if there´s some possitive effect, like reduce the noise and make the engine work softer.

Best regards.

Last edited by rodrigpdiaz; 09-09-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:36 PM

ML 350 W164 2010 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mbdiesel12
Most independent oil experts (IE- tribologists, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers) recommend NOT using supplemental oil additives. Even if they reduce wear that's only one factor in the equation. They can and probably do alter an oils additive package. Wear protection is only one element to be concerned with.

Besides, how will you know if it's doing anything? Seat-of-the pants feeling is only anecdotal. Is it the placebo effect your feeling? How will you know if it's actually reducing engine wear and not messing up the oil chemistry? Maybe that's why MB doesn't recommend anything.

Unfortunately I don't think your experiment will prove anything of scientific value. But it may make you feel better at the expense of your wallet.

I guess each thing you do to improve your car gives you a placebo effect...that´s the idea to use the best oil or the best parts you can afford.

And what you say about MB doesn´t recommend anything...they even not reccomend to change the transmission ATF because the transmission is sealed for life... very convenient for them to make the customer must buy a new transmission at 100K miles. therefore what MB advice doesn´t need to be a rule.

Regarding If I´m trying to prove something scientific with this additive, I can tell you thats not my goal, I´m only trying to improve the oil performance, taking the experience of many people in germany whom use this additive after each oil change, besides I don´t think, that this additive may reduce the oil quality.

Best regards.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
I don't think the idea is to have a placebo effect. I think it's to have an actual, quantifiable, repeatable scientific effect. Each of us needs to decide for our self however. And I'm not sure MB still believes in lifetime transmission fluid. I know they don't for my 2012 E350 BT. It's a four year service. Also don't believe in 15K oil changes no matter what oil company states that. You might want to look at this blog from an independent mechanical engineer with many professional credentials. My choice is to believe him over what other non-scientific people are saying. Maybe also do some searches re: oil additives to see what the other experts are saying. Not the additive companies. In the end we all make our own choices however so if you believe in it after doing your own research that's fine. Pick the sources you want to put faith in.

Here's the link: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
The following users liked this post:
rodrigpdiaz (09-09-2017)