Sponsored by:

How to read oil level in 2003 s500 Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes s500 4matic
How to read oil level in 2003 s500 Mercedes

We just received a 2003 s500 and are new to the world of no dipsticks. Check oil monitor appeared on screen indicating we had insufficient oil. We added 2 quarts and now the monitor sometimes reads too much oil and sometimes says there is no malfunction. Geez. Is there an easy way to know? Also, how much is too much? Should we have someone take some out? Feel kinda stupid....
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Originally Posted by metzaroo
We just received a 2003 s500 and are new to the world of no dipsticks. Check oil monitor appeared on screen indicating we had insufficient oil. We added 2 quarts and now the monitor sometimes reads too much oil and sometimes says there is no malfunction. Geez. Is there an easy way to know? Also, how much is too much? Should we have someone take some out? Feel kinda stupid....
They generally read low when the engine is 1qt or 1 liter low (not sure which). By putting in 2 qts at once you almost certainly put in too much. You can suck it out via the dipstick port using a mitevac or similar unit. That is how they change the oil too on most of them. Some of the engines can be retrofitted with an auxillary dipstick if you are not OK with the electronic method. I am not 100% familiar with the V8 in the S500 but it is going to be the 3 valve 5.0 liter I think which is similar to my SLK55 engine. I would remove about half a qt and then re-check the oil level. You don't want to run it over filled as it is likely to puke oil into the PCV system which then gets into the airbox and makes an oily mess of things.

Irish
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cl 500 216
Ignition on engine off scroll with left side steering wheel buttons until it reads (oil level) leave it on that until it reads level then add as instructed
Old 01-22-2018, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
2l is usually what it takes to go from min to max mark.
You went from 1 extreme to other, so don't add more than 1 quart at the time.
Those things can be oversensitive, so keeping the level 1/2 l below max works the best on my cars.
On W212 I refilled just few mm above min mark and no warnings. I like to add refreshing shoot of oil/additives between oil changes and since those motors don't use oil - starting low is the only way.