Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glow Plug Replacement - 2006 cdi

Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Glow Plug Replacement - 2006 cdi

My check engine light just came on. When I did a scan, I got code P0673 (#3 glow plug failure). The funny thing about it which I never noticed before when a glow plug failed, is that the glow plug light would come back on after the car was started, then go out after I drove 1/10 of a mile, but the check engine light came on and will not go off unless I clear the code. My main question is should I replace all six glow plugs?

Here is the history of my glow plug replacement(s):

Jan 2011 at 58,000. Changed all six
Oct 2012 at 80,000. Changed #4
June 2016 at 134,000. Changed glow plug controller
NOW at 155,000. #3 is bad.

I read somewhere that it may be best to change all six since I have close to 100k on them. I also have my wife and I turn the key to "on" and wait until the GP light goes out, then we start the car. This is just something that I think helps the glow plugs last longer. And yes, I know to use Beru 5 volt glow plugs. I will start soaking them with oil while they are being ordered.
Thank you,
Mike T.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It depends a lot on temperatures you operate.
Driving diesels in CA I replaced GP only once, so I consider them 1/2 million miles item. Obviously in cold states where you have to preheat for long time the story is going to be different.
I no longer own cdi engine, but from my recollection it does have easy access to GP, so I would replace only the bad one.
Some engine require puling manifold for GP access and in such situation, I would replace them all.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Thanks Krzysztof. I saw that video you posted while doing a search. I will purchase just one go and see what happens. I will put some oil on it tomorrow while I order the new one. By chance do you know where I can find the reamer to clean the threads?
Thanks again,
mike T.