Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy I know, but so cool if you ask me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 ford van with Mercedes diesel conversion
Crazy I know, but so cool if you ask me!

Hello
I'm as new as new gets when it comes to Mercedes diesels. Have had a few old Mercedes but never really knew much about them other than the fact they were cool. 80's 300d wagon and a 66 200 (loved that car but wife crashed it!)

Anyway I have a bit of a weird one I know but I absolutly love it. Its a 65 ford econoline van with both mervedes front and rear suspension with a turbo diesel motor. Totally crazy and oddball right? My question is about the om617a. How do i know if i have one or not? Are all A's turbo motors or are there non A turbo motors too? Reason is i want to give it some get up and go since it will be pulling a much bigger and im assuming heavier vehicle. From what I have read the A is the best motor to do that with. Here is the number off my engine that I don't know anything about. In all my searching could not figure out what it is. No VIN from car sorry. 617 950 12 001 455 is the number hope that helps someone figure it out? To supe it up I know from reading i will need at least to get a super pump or M pump (if they are different?? Guess thats my other question) and have it built or get one with at least 7mm elements. Possibly a turbo and intake too??

Also is this more of a purest forum or do you think anyone would enjoy seeing the van built? Currently everything (suspension) is mocked up ready to be final welded then airbagged. It will also be run on wvo. If not appreciated here, where would it be?

Here is what it looks like right now

Hope somebody digs it as much as I do...
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I LOVE TO SEE PROJECT PICTORIALS.
Can't quite understand what you are asking about? The engine on the picture is having turbo on it.
Even Wikipedia calls om617 one of the most reliable engines ever. I had it on 1985 300dtd and sold it with over 300k miles. For today's needs the 112 HP, especially mounted in the van is not much, but it all depends on your expectation. Running on veggie will lower the HP even more.
My friend had one of those MB buses, that with carrying capacity of 16 were powered by ca 60 hp diesel. I drove it a bit and it was rolling fine for a bus, but will become snail in the mountains.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is my fear that it will be too slow so I want to enhance the performance. I know veggie oil will bring that down some roo. So my question is.

is all turbo engines a 0m617A or are there turbo engines that are an om617? Because the A coded engines from what I read are the best platform to build upon. In case there are om617 motors that are not coded a but are still turbo motors I have given my engine number to see if anyone can tell me as my searching both this site and the u ternet has come up short.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You did not post your location, but judging from the flag you are in US?
I am not familiar with the "A" you are referring to, but to my knowledge all 3 liter 617 engines imported to US were turbo-equipped.
Sad part those engines, even lot of them are still on the roads, are considered dinosaurs, so getting the support is not going to be easy.
Check W123 section here and on benzworld for activity?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Yes I am in Las Vegas Nevada
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What part? If you don't mind, I'll be happy to see the project personally.
Sold my last W123 almost 20 years ago, but still remember working on those diesels.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 W211 CDI
Originally Posted by brajaboy
Thanks for the reply. That is my fear that it will be too slow so I want to enhance the performance. I know veggie oil will bring that down some roo. So my question is.

is all turbo engines a 0m617A or are there turbo engines that are an om617? Because the A coded engines from what I read are the best platform to build upon. In case there are om617 motors that are not coded a but are still turbo motors I have given my engine number to see if anyone can tell me as my searching both this site and the u ternet has come up short.
https://www.dieselpumpuk.com/

These guys are excellent with the older stuff and they have a ton of videos on youtube. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Awesome project btw, keep up the great work!