Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GL350 engine replacement, other items to replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
GL350 engine replacement, other items to replace?

I have a 2010 GL350,(or also known as a x164 with a OM642)

This diesel engine had a massive oil leak that ended up dumping most of the oil in a short period of time due to a technician error after leaving the shop. After resolving the leak and filling the engine with oil they found metal in the oil filter after running it, so a Long Block has been ordered and will be installed.

So a few questions for you OM642 Gurus, while the Long Block is being replaced is there any other proactive parts replacement or preventative maintenance that should be performed while the engine is being replaced? The vehicle currently has 80,000 miles. Anything I should be worried about(in addition to the Long Block) that could have been damaged due to running low on oil?

Have been told that the DEF heater, Timing chain, and oil cooler seals are the major faults with this vehicle. So with this info was thinking of keeping the vehicle now that I previously repaired the DEF and the other two issues will be addressed with the engine Long Block replacement.

I also learned in this process of talking with several engine shops that this vehicle needs to have the oil changed every 5000 to 6000 miles due to sludge build up that will also damage the motor and/or turbo over time. I was leaving it go until the dash popped up a message to change the oil but found out it should be changed much sooner.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I just did such job on E due to water intrusion.
I bought rebuild long block from UK, but it was not too reputable rebuild, so my goal was to put minimal money to it.
Meaning I reused all engine gaskets and after putting about 200 miles have no leaks. Turned out my EGR had cooling loop into the head, while replacement engine had no hole for it. I extended the hose and put Tee on reservoir hose.
Things to address:
-oil cooler
-cleaning intake flaps
-make sure the flaps moving rod is not wear
-cleaning EGR
-replace fuel filter and air filters.
Since you will have to drain transmission, get it fully serviced with converter drain.
Also new coolant would call for new chem pack, what is part of reservoir.
I also rebuild turbo since after 180k miles it had minimal play. Guess what, new sleeves have the same play, so probably wasted my time on this one, but kit was $40 and hard part is to get turbo out. Meaning why da heck not?
The following users liked this post:
Slap Shot (05-15-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
BTW the injectors on those engines are programmed into ECU, so keep them in the same order.
Best part, since all modules come from original engine, I had nothing to program.
The following users liked this post:
Slap Shot (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Thanks, I will run these items buy the guys doing the replacement and see if they can work these in, I was worried about the turbo but sounds like this part is fairly robust.