Sponsored by:

OM642 aftermarket oil separator that works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 01:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
GL320 2007
Just some fun facts.

1. The thing outside the engine is not an oil separator, but rather the PCV Valve. The oil separator is actually mounted on the hollow camshaft. The idea oil is 'removed' before ventilation.
2. The PCV valve has had a number of updates, but operation is the same. ASAIK from looking at it, it is normally open via a spring. With enough boost (and suction pressure), the diaphragm closes. Alternatively, high pressure in crank case will force it back open. So I suspect the spring constant and diaphragm have a high level of engineering.
3. The killer on the intake system is the egr. This introduces soot and other particular matter. The oil from the PCV will bind to this and block up the intake pipes. Oil by itself is not and issue. The soot is also not ideal for an engine.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:51 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
W211 E320 Diesel OM642
All true ... I did consider updating the pcv valve from 2011+ model on my 2007 om642 but it cannot be utiliized as the unshielded exhaust (that is Shielded on 2011+ models) would have probably melted the insides during regeneration mode.