Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Sure I posted this DPF link before...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Not Sure I posted this DPF link before...

https://www.apta.com/mc/annual/LZpre...,%20Jeremy.pdf

Any objections?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Good manual for semi-trucks, still general advise is general advise.
I think the best thing I could do for my DPF is get ScanGauge that monitors my soot % and regeneration status.
Since I got the gauge, the regeneration had to happen just before and than took us 600 mile city driving to reach 100% of soot. In the mean time regeneration was happening for few seconds burst when we pushed the engine entering freeways.
So 2nd regeneration happen on our way home and with no gauge I would have no idea it is happening. The computer was still doing ECO stops .
We come home when soot was still at 16%, but I called it good. But following drives made the soot jumping from 16% to 60 % in less than 100 miles, meaning unfinished regeneration made for poor performance.
So now when next regeneration will happen, I make sure to turn ECO off and drive around neighborhood till soot will reach 0%.
It takes less than 10 miles to do full regeneration.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I have an Autel version (Scan Tool) and do the same, but I just want to show that there are options out there beyond DPF replacements, DPF defeats and other work arounds.

The document includes smaller vehicles too, like Sprinter vans. It also touches on symptoms like burning through DEF fluid and other system leaks which all apply to our vehicles. I really doubt there being much if any difference in DPF's across the automotive board just like there aren't many differences in CAT Converters.

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Good manual for semi-trucks, still general advise is general advise.
I think the best thing I could do for my DPF is get ScanGauge that monitors my soot % and regeneration status.
Since I got the gauge, the regeneration had to happen just before and than took us 600 mile city driving to reach 100% of soot. In the mean time regeneration was happening for few seconds burst when we pushed the engine entering freeways.
So 2nd regeneration happen on our way home and with no gauge I would have no idea it is happening. The computer was still doing ECO stops .
We come home when soot was still at 16%, but I called it good. But following drives made the soot jumping from 16% to 60 % in less than 100 miles, meaning unfinished regeneration made for poor performance.
So now when next regeneration will happen, I make sure to turn ECO off and drive around neighborhood till soot will reach 0%.
It takes less than 10 miles to do full regeneration.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I used Autotel and keep iCarsoft for troubleshooting and as I experienced they can give you bogus numbers.
But the main difference is that ScanGauge is design to be permanently plug-in and small screen can be easy placed on top of steering column, or several other places.
Hard to do it with other scanners.
The main difference with DPF in heavy trucks that they have 400,000 miles service intervals. That definitely doesn't apply to our cars. My local SA told me that MB made DPF a wearable item with 120k miles replacement. Still trying to find official confirmation for it
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Your Autel gives you bogus numbers during the live/real time mode vs your ScanGauge? I've never compared mine to anything but the RPMs. I believe the Autel allows you to record live data too but I just peek at it while using cruise control.

The link is more of a Fleet link instead of a Semi truck link. It mentions 150k to 200k mile "service intervals" for over the road vehicles and 50-70k for sprinter like vehicles. My w164 bluetech had over 120k miles of trouble free DPF.

Most cars are designed to fail after 100k miles because that's the minimum requirement, today's Mercedes is no different. I think Toyota is the only one who has a official higher limit.

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I used Autotel and keep iCarsoft for troubleshooting and as I experienced they can give you bogus numbers.
But the main difference is that ScanGauge is design to be permanently plug-in and small screen can be easy placed on top of steering column, or several other places.
Hard to do it with other scanners.
The main difference with DPF in heavy trucks that they have 400,000 miles service intervals. That definitely doesn't apply to our cars. My local SA told me that MB made DPF a wearable item with 120k miles replacement. Still trying to find official confirmation for it

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 01-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Autotell did not support my OM651 engine at all.
iCarsoft MBII will not read the engine data neither, but has generic DPF regeneration program.
I run it, even it was annoying keeping low speed, high rpm on car who shifts automatically, but the scanner was showing me for example soot level at 93.
During the forced regeneration the count would come down to 0, but when I reset the scanner and did the scanning again, I was back to 93.
That DPF had mechanical failure, what might participate in the issue, but fact is that scanner lie to me.
I am still pretty skeptic about ScanGauge accuracy, but from 700 miles experience, it looks pretty reliable.
I mean the cars don't have build-in scales, so soot % is value calculated probably from dif pressure, but the values are linear and don't make sudden jumps out of nowhere.