Sponsored by:

2010 GL350, need 3rd motor 😕 help with info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL350 Diesel
2010 GL350, need 3rd motor 😕 help with info

Purchased used 2010 GL350 110k. Less than 1k miles engine blew. Purchased used OM642 39k diesel engine and had installed. 90 day warranty, mechanic found 6th cylinder issue. I reported it to vendor. Motor blows. I’m into it now 34k today. I need to find another motor and get this thing back in the road. I’ve looked all over. I can’t afford another 12k. Vendor says I can auction it and get about 11k. I can’t replace it for 11k so looking for suggestions. Current motor had everything redone on it. Not sure what beside broken rods and oil pan might be wrong. Should I sell? Should I replace? Should I send motor out to rebuild? Truck is in excellent shape.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Read the topics about seized bluetecs on this forum.
Is your truck DEF equipped?
I own 2008 model of this engine in E and driving in water puddle it bend the connecting rod at 180k miles. There are no US rebuilders that I could find.
Eventually I purchased rebuild (or so-called) engine in UK and install it, so the car is back on the road.
I tried to part the car, who is in excellent condition and best offer was $1000.
GLK might bring more, but IMHO whoever is telling you $11k should seek some help.
Welcome to the forum and sorry for circumstances. I hope you can come back with some picture of blown engine?
I took the broken engine apart and beside cleaning intake flaps, don't see why those engines should not make 1 million miles.

Last edited by kajtek1; 03-23-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL350
This is probably not what you want to hear, but consider yourself lucky that this all happened at once. For most GL350 owners, it takes a few years to rack up all the "maintenance costs' like new air suspension, oil cooler seals, engine mounts, adblue tank... And then, just when you are feeling proud of all the maintenance you put in to get another 50k miles, hello seized engine! Bite the bullet, rip off the band-aid, whatever lame metaphor you want -- but dump that POS GL350 before you waste any more money.
When my tranny started hemoraging fluid in Maine this summer 1500 miles from home, I finally pulled the plug on it. (Another bad metaphor!) I traded the lemon for an Expedition. Not as sexy, but MUCH more reliable.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many to list
Originally Posted by Callisto1
This is probably not what you want to hear, but consider yourself lucky that this all happened at once. For most GL350 owners, it takes a few years to rack up all the "maintenance costs' like new air suspension, oil cooler seals, engine mounts, adblue tank... And then, just when you are feeling proud of all the maintenance you put in to get another 50k miles, hello seized engine! Bite the bullet, rip off the band-aid, whatever lame metaphor you want -- but dump that POS GL350 before you waste any more money.
When my tranny started hemoraging fluid in Maine this summer 1500 miles from home, I finally pulled the plug on it. (Another bad metaphor!) I traded the lemon for an Expedition. Not as sexy, but MUCH more reliable.
what do you do with "seized engine" 350? Who do you you sell it to and for how much?