Sponsored by:

2007 E320 Intake/Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking
Originally Posted by GoodByeHonda
If you replace air intake ( bat wing) with those sensors correct me if I'm wrong here but you have to code that with star diagnostics.
That's the dealer scan tool, correct? I'm not showing any codes and the check engine light is off. I get that I am at the point that without having a mechanic with the right computer run a diagnostic scan I am only guessing what, if any, other issues I might be having. I think that's what you're telling me. Anyway, I think I'm going to drive it for about a tank of fuel and see how she does before I get a mechanic involved again. It's a PIA for me to get it in, plus miss work, etc.

Right now, I'm still looking for work arounds that I can do myself, plus confirm that I am not doing any long-term damage driving it while I fish through all this. I mean, it drives OK now. If I don't change another thing I could live with it. But if I could get her back to her old glory for a few hundred or less I'd gladly do that.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Looking
So here it is all back together. You can see the new 'batwing' clean air intake I installed.

Back to the turbo- anyone think it is worth taking off the cover to see if the turbo actuator wires are broken on the circuit board (like in the video posted earlier in the thread)? I really don't want to do that, I'd probably bugger something up.

Consensus is the next step is to have a MB mechanic run it on the diagnostic computer?

Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by ajkoontz
Don't follow??? I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm not sure what you're describing. I shouldn't have said intake, the part I put on was the clean air line (part # 642-90-82-37).
Thanks for clearing as I understood that you replaced intake manifold and have it clean.
That brings back the issue that the resistor patched the results, not the reason.
Not only flaps are there for better low rpm response, but you still have clogged intake passages.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Looking
Are you talking about swirl motor flaps? My understanding is that they are default to open position so I’m ok.

Or, are you talking about intake manifold flops? These are different than the swirl motor flaps, correct? Wouldn’t the computer be throwing a code if this was an issue?

Do I have this right?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 PM

Looking
Yep, so answering my own question the swirl motor controls the intake manifold flaps, so same thing. Thanks google.

So so now I’m getting that you’re saying disabling the flaps with the resistor mod may result in decreased performance at low rpm. If that’s the case, I can probably learn to live with it.

If if I can get another trouble free year out of the car I’ll be happy. Two years and I’ll be ecstatic. What I don’t want to do is throw $1,200 into it now only to have the turbo blow in a month.