Sponsored by:

OM642 Preventive maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
OM642 Preventive maintenance

I recently purchased 2012 S350 bluetec with 128k miles on it. The car is running fine, but after I have read all the horror stories with OM642 engines, I would like to put together list of preventive maintenance items in addition to the scheduled maintenance so the engine can last as long as possible.
What you guys think?

1) Oil change: I'm planning to use Valvoline SynPower MST 5W40 and change it every 5k miles. Is this sufficient or should I have to change oil more often?
2) Intake turbo gasket: Replace it every 10k miles to prevent leak or more often?
3) Timing chain: Should I have to preventive replace tensioner? Like every 50k miles or so? Should I have to add additives to the oil to keep correct stretch of the chain?
4) Oil separator: It is worth to add oil separator?
5) EGR/Pipes cleaning: How often to clean EGR/Pipes/Intake manifold from carbon?

What other steps you guys recommend to keep this troublemaker in good shape?
The following users liked this post:
MykhailoM (01-03-2023)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I would consider getting a gauge for DPF regeneration status the highest priority.
Most problems with those engines is cutting regeneration short, what leads to DPF clog.
Once you have a gauge, you can always take an extra loop for the cycle to come to 0 soot remaining.
I did clean EGR pipe at 180k and it did need it, although I did not notice problem with engine running.
Plan to clean intake flaps in near future.
All other stuff judgement call.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:03 AM

Which gauge you recommend? I would prefer to have something simple like one LED which will turn on when DPF regeneration is in progress. I'm actually thinking to make simple circuit to read status of DPF reg but I don't have much experience with CAN bus so it will be challenging.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am using ScanGauge for my OM651 engine.
They also took records from my OM642 engine few months ago, but the Xgauge for that engine was not available for some time, so check with them for update.
ScanGauge allows for 4 gauges display, so I observe regeneration status, soot % , than car voltage (interesting with regenerative charging) and whatever else come to mind at the moment.
Short burst of regeneration happen during heavy acceleration, so I am making a point to hold the gas pedal down for long period when entering the freeway.
Than when I see soot above 90%, I plan next trip to give it extra time when regeneration starts.
In mixed driving regeneration takes less than 10 miles. Had no chance to observe it on freeway driving.
Occasional regeneration abort is calculated into design, but if you do it constantly, the soot build -up becomes permanent.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 PM

Ok so I did some research. My plan is to use raspberry pi with android on it connected to factory screen to monitor DPF status and other important sensors.
I'm going to use bluetooth OBD scanner connected to raspberry pi and torque app for monitoring. It looks great on factory screen. I just need to find solution how to enable VIM on my command.

I have question about oil catch can. Anyone installed it? How it perform on this engine? Can the catch can be a solution for the infamous oil leak on turbo intake? Which one you guys recommend?
Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by artim808
Ok so I did some research. My plan is to use raspberry pi with android on it connected to factory screen to monitor DPF status and other important sensors.
I'm going to use bluetooth OBD scanner connected to raspberry pi and torque app for monitoring. It looks great on factory screen. I just need to find solution how to enable VIM on my command.

I have question about oil catch can. Anyone installed it? How it perform on this engine? Can the catch can be a solution for the infamous oil leak on turbo intake? Which one you guys recommend?
You might check the VW boards. There was one that added thin tube from the inter cooler back to the oil separator to reduce the oil going to the flappers. I don’t recall the other details such as brand of catch can.