Sponsored by:

2007 E320 - Continuing Problems P2008 code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking
2007 E320 - Continuing Problems P2008 code

This is a follow up post to a recent thread here, 2007 E320 w/ 65k. My problems started with the P2015 code- bad swirl motor. Indy mechanic #1 quoted $800 for new swirl motor, and told me my turbo was probably going to go out soon ($4k). In the meantime, I found out about the resistor mod and installed it. I also replaced the cold air intake because it got cracked up pretty bad along the way. Initially, the CELs went off but it still ran a little rough, so I'm thinking the resistor mod has worked. Next day, the CEL comes back on and is now giving me a P2008 code. Supposedly an intake manifold fault??? Talked to Indy mechanic #2, who has the MB (Star?) diagnostic system. He told me he doesn't work on diesels and his best advice is to take it to the dealer for proper diagnostics. He thinks the OBD2 codes don't mean squat with MB, and I need a proper MB diesel tech to troubleshoot. Before I bite the bullet and take it to the dealer, any advice??

Indy mechanic #1 doesn't seem like a great idea. He specializes in foreign cars, but feels like he will just start changing parts until the problem is fixed. I'm hesitant to do this if it is going to involve a new intake manifold.

I could try another resistor, but I've already tried 2. The first one didn't clear the CEL from the P2015 code, but the 2nd one did.

Option #3 is take it to MB Indianapolis.

If anyone knows any indy mechanics is Indianapolis, Louisville, or Cincinnati area, I could probably swing that.

I think the car books around $5k, so I'm thinking $4k or so is my walk away from a repair number. I'd just like to exhaust all options before I take it to a MB dealer. Anything more than the resistor mod is probably beyond my mechanical ability, but if there are sany step by step links to diagnose, I'll probably give them a try.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajkoontz
This is a follow up post to a recent thread here, 2007 E320 w/ 65k. My problems started with the P2015 code- bad swirl motor. Indy mechanic #1 quoted $800 for new swirl motor, and told me my turbo was probably going to go out soon ($4k). In the meantime, I found out about the resistor mod and installed it. I also replaced the cold air intake because it got cracked up pretty bad along the way. Initially, the CELs went off but it still ran a little rough, so I'm thinking the resistor mod has worked. Next day, the CEL comes back on and is now giving me a P2008 code. Supposedly an intake manifold fault??? Talked to Indy mechanic #2, who has the MB (Star?) diagnostic system. He told me he doesn't work on diesels and his best advice is to take it to the dealer for proper diagnostics. He thinks the OBD2 codes don't mean squat with MB, and I need a proper MB diesel tech to troubleshoot. Before I bite the bullet and take it to the dealer, any advice??

Indy mechanic #1 doesn't seem like a great idea. He specializes in foreign cars, but feels like he will just start changing parts until the problem is fixed. I'm hesitant to do this if it is going to involve a new intake manifold.

I could try another resistor, but I've already tried 2. The first one didn't clear the CEL from the P2015 code, but the 2nd one did.

Option #3 is take it to MB Indianapolis.

If anyone knows any indy mechanics is Indianapolis, Louisville, or Cincinnati area, I could probably swing that.

I think the car books around $5k, so I'm thinking $4k or so is my walk away from a repair number. I'd just like to exhaust all options before I take it to a MB dealer. Anything more than the resistor mod is probably beyond my mechanical ability, but if there are sany step by step links to diagnose, I'll probably give them a try.

Did you ever figure out your issue?
Old 10-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Looking
Originally Posted by Dram0809
Did you ever figure out your issue?
For whatever reason the resistor mod just didn't fix my issue. The good news is this forced me to find a local (sort of) indy mechanic who is now my go-to guy. If you're in the Indianapolis or SE Indiana area, I can recommend- Circle Star Motors in Morristown, Jim Coffey. He's usually booked 2-3 weeks out but if you're patient his pricing is fair and he knows his stuff. So, he went ahead and replaced the swirl motor (~$750) and my codes went away, everything back to normal. About 2 weeks ago, back to limp mode. This time it was some kind of control board/ switch and a bad hose (~$260 this time).

Overall my confidence in MB is not completely restored, but better than it was before. I may or may not buy another one, but I had sworn them off while in the midst of the original swirl motor problem. She's back on the road now and running like she should, so that's the end of this saga for me.