Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 483 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am semi-retired.
When I don't think good MB technician will ever leave dealership job with all the clean station, excelent pay and pack of benefits to struggle in his own shop.
Only person who run into trouble in his workplace would do something like that.

But beside generic statements. what exactly did you get for $50?
The linked article is waste of time IMHO.
Kaj,
Your knowledge of Mercedes and diesels is obvious. Your contributions to the knowledge base of this forum are invaluable. However, I find it necessary to comment on the highlighted portion of your post above.
With all due respect:
Bull$4!+. You're right. You don't think (sometimes).
Sincerely yours,
self employed for 22 years and counting.

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 01-23-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:12 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Plenty of good ambitious tech's leave dealership jobs to start their own shop, and there's nothing wrong with that. The book rate at a tech's hourly wage is far less than the book rate at a shops hourly rate. Its a win-win if you work for yourself. Escpecially if you specialize in a certain type of repair. Its the same concept for doctors who leave hospitals to start their own practice or lawyers who leave firms to start their own law office.

While the information provided by Tom may appear to be the ramblings of a bitter technician, there is a lot of truth in it.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph~ (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
Kaj,
Your knowledge of Mercedes and diesels is obvious. Your contributions to the knowledge base of this forum are invaluable. However, I find it necessary to comment on the highlighted portion of your post above.
With all due respect:
Bull$4!+. You're right. You don't think (sometimes).
Sincerely yours,
self employed for 22 years and counting.
I have about double of self-employment years.
When I don't use shops period, lot of forum members become my friends and they go to indy shops. The common reviews are
"greasy shop, no clean chair to sit on, owner constantly running behind, or sitting and waiting for customer and all that followed by about 90% of screw ups"
I did run in 1 indy shop who stood up. Back in 1990's there was shop in Oakland, CA run by German immigrant and the shop had the highest recommendations. But the guy newer work for MB USA.
Same used to be with Blaupunkt radio service in Burbank, where MB owners would drive 900 miles to have their radio serviced.
Common saying between people who start their own business in California (competition in CA is very high, so that might not apply to other locations)
"WHY WORK FOR SOMEBODY WITH 40 HR WEEKS EARNING $1000 A WEEK, WHEN I CAN OPEN OWN SHOP AND EARN $700 IN 90 HR WORKWEEK"

Last edited by kajtek1; 01-23-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by dhurley

While the information provided by Tom may appear to be the ramblings of a bitter technician, there is a lot of truth in it.
Let me repeat what I said above
"You can get actual experience posted on this forum for free."
why waste the time for reading the ramblings, who don't bring anything new to car ownership?