Sponsored by:

S350 NOx sensors and Lack of power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Post S350 NOx sensors and Lack of power

I have a 2013 S350 BlueTec with 64k miles. My check engine light went on a few weeks ago. A trip to my mechanic and he tells me that my NOx sensors need to be replaced to the tune of $2,200. However, I had bought the car at CarMax and got the extended warranty so they made a call and found out that the warranty would cover 60% of the cost. But then they got wind of the coming Diesel recall from Mercedes and suggested I wait for the fix to come out and then Mercedes will cover the entire repair. He said I should be able to drive it normally, just ingore the check engine light.

My wife and I got back from a round trip from Boston to NYC, about 450 miles and I have to say the car is seriously down on power.

I have been pondering if something else is wrong that I can't see because the check engine light was already on (yellow). Is the car supposed to be down on power when the NOx sensors fail? Does anyone know when the recall is coming to the S class? The Bluetech website says 4th quarter 2021, is that November? Coincidentally that is when my extended warranty expires. So am I gambling by waiting for the Mercedes fix?
Old 04-18-2021, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
THERE IS NO RECALL.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...vil-settlement
Check this site what exactly AEM will give your MY.
The extended warranty will click in AFTER AEM, so it is up to dealer discretion how he will deal with preexisting conditions.
Driving with bad NOx can plug your DPF.
Modifications are performed for about a month already, so schedule your appointment ASAP.
NOx Probes sell for $70 on ebay BTW.

Last edited by kajtek1; 04-18-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Ok so I went to the above referenced website and it says "Daimler must recall the effected vehicles". But you're saying its not an actual recall?

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Check this site what exactly AEM will give your MY.
The extended warranty will click in AFTER AEM, so it is up to dealer discretion how he will deal with preexisting conditions.
Driving with bad NOx can plug your DPF.
Modifications are performed for about a month already, so schedule your appointment ASAP.
How are modifications being performed already if the website that you referenced, states that they will not be ready until January 2022 for my S350?

Old 04-18-2021, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You have to understand the difference between original complain and final statement.
Seems you have bad luck to be in single category, out of 12 who has parts on back order.
I have 3 of my Bluetecs already done.
Seems at this point you have to kick your warranty?