Sponsored by:

Advice on buying 307d T1 Van

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 300TD, 2001 325it, 2012 Jetta TDI wagon
Advice on buying 307d T1 Van

Long time fan, first time caller. I currently own my beloved ‘85 300TD with 325k on the clock. Thinking of purchasing a 1978 307D a buddy recently acquired in a trade of sorts. I can get it for what seems to be a deal at $6500 but not sure what to look out for.

I haven’t seen it in person, and he doesn’t know these vehicles but it’s being towed to a mechanic this weekend (it supposedly does run well but has been sitting and won’t start) to get looked over. So I should have more details to share soon, but in the meantime wondering if anyone has experience with these older t1 vans? Primarily I want to know how difficult it is to find parts and if I’m going to constantly be dumping money into the thing, or if they’re as reliable as my w123. I know it’s super slow, I’ll be mostly cruising around town as I’m thinking of converting it to a mobile pop up shop since it’s currently mostly empty. It was a camper in its former life, and PO was starting a refit process but didn’t get much past insulation. Also not sure why the radiator is sticking out of the grill in the pic but theres a chance they put a larger engine in it…again, will know more very soon.

Greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations! Also, if anyone knows of a good shop in the LA area (van is currently in Oakland) that has experience with these vans that would be great too.