Delete DPF delete for AEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,385 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Delete DPF delete for AEM

FYI, back in 2018 I was forced to do DPF delete as Mercedes could not deliver replacement part. I prepaid about $3000 at the dealer and waited several months and finally had to cancel the order.
My ECU adjustment was done in UK and I have no way to judge how good it was, however requested DEF delete did not work and when I pulled the plug on DEF module, the code and CEL come on. So as far as I can say, but SCR system was still performing.
The car passed 3 Nevada smog tests, what is measuring particle behind tail pipe, while running the car on rolls.
So anyway, with Bluetec settlement, new parts and 4 years extended warranty, iced with up to $3500 check I decided to reverse project.
Since I am not much of programmer, I check with some gurus that this is going to work, since AEM involve DPF replacement and ECU full flash.
My DPF was hollowed up and 1st visit to dealer come with rejection as they were not allowed to accept it.
So I bought new, aftermarket DPF for $1200 (from forum sponsor) and 2nd attempt succeed with AEM performed.
Now I have $8300 of new parts (and labor) installed on the car and 4 years extended warranty on most of engine parts.
Will file a claim for the check soon.
So for those who are still on the fence, when AEM has no expiration date, the deadline for filing the claim is October 1, so the clock is ticking. Some parts are on short order, but if dealer will wait for your part, you can extend the claim deadline.
I did have 2nd of the same model, who was delivering better mpg and better throttle response with stock setup. Now I drove the car 20 miles after bringing it back to factory specs and when mpg is to be determinate after some more miles, I feel better throttle response.
I made several tries to eliminate placebo effect and it seems to be real.
Now next week will show if my mpg will come back to good times.
Not that 33 mpg in mostly city driving is bad, but the car can do better.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-09-2022 at 09:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jfxogara (09-18-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
The MPG on my 14 ml350 actually went up after the install. 1500 miles, about 1000 on highway and I'm getting 30.9. Could be that the new dpf breaths better, but regardless, no complaints here.
The following users liked this post:
olesouthernboy (11-20-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had DPF hollowed, so can't make easy of breathing better than that, but I suspect that the delete scrambled original ECU program and that is why car with delete performed worse than the 1 with stock.
Than again different cars can perform differently within some error margins.
We drive Sprinter right now, so sedan with new DPF did less than 100 miles on it.
Will report any changes in mpg after doing at least 500 miles.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:01 PM

Received 264 Likes on 185 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
From my experience in other diesels, with just egr and dpf they used more fuel to burn more particulate and had a cat to reduce smell. This used more fuel to meet emissions regs. Once scr came on scene egr was less, less particulate less dpf fuel required since scr was doing its job with the def. In the latter case removing everything didnt gain much if any in fuel mileage where previouse setup gained a decent amount. Atleast on bigger diesels.

These little guys not sure removing everything gets much. Now the tune is where it would probably help but its gotta be a good tuner that knows what they are doing and no banks is not a good one.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1987 190e 2.6
Don’t mean to hijack but did you have success with that aftermarket dpf? I’ll go ahead and bite the bullet on one if so. My original had a melted core which was spliced to relieve the excess backpressure and maintain drivability. A temporary solution
Old 09-19-2022, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BetterDaze
Don’t mean to hijack but did you have success with that aftermarket dpf? I’ll go ahead and bite the bullet on one if so. My original had a melted core which was spliced to relieve the excess backpressure and maintain drivability. A temporary solution
I drove less than 100 miles on new DPF, before dealer replaced it and put in the trash.
Having regeneration disabled with old tune, the DPF would clog within few hundreds miles.
But this section sponsor sells them with good warranty and if I recall it right, full approval for 49 states.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1987 190e 2.6
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I drove less than 100 miles on new DPF, before dealer replaced it and put in the trash.
Having regeneration disabled with old tune, the DPF would clog within few hundreds miles.
But this section sponsor sells them with good warranty and if I recall it right, full approval for 49 states.
gotcha I see you had to do that so they'd accept your car for recall. I have an 08 which isn't included