Sponsored by:

How can I get MBUSA to honor Warranty Extension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250
Angry How can I get MBUSA to honor Warranty Extension

Like most of you, in September 2022, I received a letter from MBUSA informing me that the Particulate Matter Sensor warranty was being extended. Specifically, it stated: "MBUSA is extending the warranty of the Particulate Matter )"Pm) sensor on the vehicles listed below. Mercedes-Benz AG, the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, determined that the PM sensor could potentially fail and result in the illumination of a malfunction indicator light (MIL). Therefore, the warranty of the PM sensor has been extended from the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 4 years / 50,000 miles to 10 years / 120,000 miles (whichever occurs first), and applies to the vehicle regardless of ownership." It continued, "This extended warranty applies to the aforementioned condition that necessitate the service and/or replacement of the PM sensor under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty terms and conditions."

The letter listed my 2014 GLK 250 under its included vehicles list. and further stated, "Any repairs under this warranty extension must be performed by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership."

Most pertinent to my situation was the last section: "If your vehicle has exceed the original warranty's mileage or time period, and you have already paid to have your particulate matter sensor replaced due to the aforementioned condition, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement untie this warranty extension. Reimbursement for your replacement costs can be obtained by presenting adequate documentation to your authorized Mercedes Benz dealer." In fact, my local dealership, Mercedes-Benz of Littleton (CO), had replaced my PM sensor on August 7, 2020 after my malfunction indicator light illuminated while I was driving (and stayed lit thereafter until the replacement). I paid them $945 for the repair.

After receiving the letter, I went back to Mercedes-Benz of Littleton to obtain my reimbursement. At the time, the dealership knew nothing about the letter and said the service manager said he would look into it. A number of days later, he got back to me and said that MBUSA had put out a notice to dealerships (which he didn't receive and has not been able to show me a copy of) stating that the reimbursement was only for vehicles that produced 2 different error codes, neither of which matched the code that my sensor produced. Therefore, he would not submit a claim for reimbursement to MBUSA.

I showed him my letter and asked where in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (that was being extended as stated above) it only covered the failure of the PM sensor with specific error codes. He basically blew me off. After that, I called the MBUSA phone number at the bottom of the letter (800) 367-6372 and emailed MBUSA (mercedes_benz@mailca.custhelp.com) a number of times with the same outcome: they pointed me back to my local dealership. I finally got the service manager to say he would talk to his Area Manager, but he never got back to me. Then, after I bugged him a number of times, months later he emailed me that the Area Manager agreed with him: it was not covered. In the meantime, I reached out to MBUSA and tried to explain the local dealership was not helping and that they needed to connect me with someone higher up the food chain to direct the local dealership to submit the reimbursement claim. They would not. I even emailed dialog@daimler.com, the CEO of Daimler and the president of MBUSA to no one even had the courtesy to respond.

I feel like MB is just jerking me around and refusing to honor their own stated terms.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I can do?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Do you have a friend who is a lawyer? Sometimes all it takes is one phone call...
Old 08-25-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
Go to a different dealer.

/
Old 08-26-2023, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It does only cover specific error codes (P181C, P24AE, P24C6 and P16CB). See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...19253-0001.pdf.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:09 PM

Received 251 Likes on 155 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
As far as I can tell, the PM sensor is part of the AEM warranty. No specific codes are mentioned.

Edit: Now that I think about what I posted, there may be an issue with the timing and not sure AEM warranty is retroactive.

Last edited by 300SE1993; 09-04-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,392 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Did you call MB USA hotline?
They have regional representatives to deal with such situations.