Urgent Help Needed: C220d 2016 Turbo Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 11:49 AM
sfu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c220d
Urgent Help Needed: C220d 2016 Turbo Malfunction

Code: P029900 (Turbo 1 boost low) P228100 (leak between MAF and throttle) P22C872 (turbo waste gate stuck,not close)

Day 1: While driving, I noticed a recurring rattling noise accompanied by a boost loss during acceleration, followed by a return of boost at higher RPMs. After some time, achieving high RPMs became increasingly difficult, and manual downshifting was no longer possible. Upon stopping, I located the source of the rattling noise to the left side of the engine (turbo), with the engine running smoothly. OBD diagnostics revealed fault codes related to intake and turbo valve issues (presumably referring to the waste gate): 1. Detected pressure leakage between throttle valve and MAF 2. Turbo valve stuck. Even after clearing the fault codes, the problem persisted, with boost sometimes normal and other times absent. While driving, I monitored the waste gate opening data flow, which remained at around 50% regardless of throttle input (5% when engine is off).

Day 2: Experienced turbo lag at high RPMs, with engine continuing to receive throttle input for 0.5 seconds after releasing the pedal. Concerned, I gave a sudden throttle input while stationary, causing the engine to accelerate uncontrollably. I had to turn off the engine by removing the key. However, subsequent attempts to start the engine failed initially, with the starter functioning but the engine refusing to start. After approximately 10 attempts, the engine started but emitted blue smoke from the exhaust. Light throttle input was normal, but at 3k RPM, the engine again accelerated uncontrollably. Even after removing the key, the engine continued to operate at full load for about 5 seconds before stopping. I'm now afraid to attempt another start.

Initially, I suspected a stuck waste gate causing turbo pressure loss. However, the emergence of significant blue smoke and uncontrollable engine RPMs has left me deeply concerned.

Has anyone experienced similar issues before?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:55 PM

Received 273 Likes on 191 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Usually blue smoke is oil being burned. Oil being sucked into intake will also cause runaway diesel (basically it uses oil as fuel). Part of the issue could be turbo seals which could be allowing oil to get injected into the engine. Not familiar with this setup so hopefully someone chimes in.

Did you check your charge air piping or intercooler to see if it was inundated with engine oil?
Old 05-03-2024, 10:46 PM

Received 273 Likes on 191 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by usdhia
I’ve got a c class 220 cdi estate 2013 semi auto which I’m having trouble with the engine management light coming on and going into limp mode, I had a dpf sensor fitted and the car was back to normal for about 3 weeks - a month and the problem persists with the dpf. Took it to a local garage who turned off the light added a dpf cleaner to the tank took it for a run but it still won’t clear the dpf, any ideas would be much appreciated?

Kodi
May need to try cleaning the DPF or replacing it. When I say cleaning it as in remove and physically clean it.