Sponsored by:

Replaced oil filter housing seals today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 ML350 Bluetec, Alfa Romeo GTV6
Replaced oil filter housing seals today

This must be a common issue if Dorman sells a kit with the two seals in it.

I noticed our ML350 leaving spots in it's parking space recently, and the bottom of the AC compressor was covered in oil. I couldn't tell if the power steering pump was leaking, or the oil filter housing. So I figured I'd start with the oil filter housing since it's only $20 for the two gaskets.

Removal was pretty straight forward.

I pulled the serpentine belt, you need a 12 pt 17mm socket or wrench to loosen the tensioner. Don't forget to note the belt routing.

You will need to remove the tensioner to get at one of the oil filter housing bolts. It's just one bolt holding it in.

Then I started loosened the 6 E8? bolts holding the oil filter housing on and it popped off, dumping about 1/2 a quart maybe of oil down the front of the engine. I had a drip pan under the car to catch it.

I sprayed the tensioner with foamy engine cleaner and let it sit in the oil tray while I cleaned up the oil filter housing. I got it as clean as reasonably possible before cracking it in half.

Both gaskets were pretty hard, not rock hard, but definitely not rubbery anymore. I found that an awl removed them well. I had to break free a chunk of gasket, then I could put the awl under the rest and pry it out.

On both gaskets a bit of gasket got stuck in both sides of the groove, so I carefully scraped it out with a dental pick.

I did my best to clean up the front of the engine around the oil filter housing so I can spot any new leaks. But I didn't go nuts as I didn't want to get gunk in the oil passages. I can do more cleaning again later if the leak is sealed up.

Putting it all back together went smoothly, and I had to add about 1/2 quart of oil to replace the oil that spilled out.

Overall it took about 3 hours to complete the job, 2 hours were just cleaning. The removal and re-installation went super smoothly for once.

I'm not sure if this will help anybody, but if you suddenly have drips from your engine and it's looking pretty gross behind the serpentine belt, try replacing these two gaskets.

All that gunk behind the serpentine belt is the bottom of the oil filter housing.

Oil filter housing split open. Dorman gaskets at left. I put down a cardboard box to protect my workbench.

The pick is pointing to a bit of gasket material that got stuck. Make sure you get all these little bits out.

Bottom gasket at engine. Pretty hard.

Nice clean oil filter housing! The block is cleaner that is was, but definitely doesn't look as clean in this photo.