E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E coupe steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:50 AM

W222 s350
E coupe steering

Hi all

Had my e350cdi coupe sport since Sept.

Great car. One thing i have noticed is a bit of rack rattle i.e some rattle/knock type sensation through steering column on uneven terrain as if there is little damping in steering column . I drove another one at dealer and did the same.

As it is my first merc is this a 'family trait'?
Old 01-27-2010 | 06:14 PM

2010 E550 Coupe, 2008 ML 320 CDI
i'm not sure. mine doesn't do that...
Old 02-01-2010 | 09:42 AM

W222 s350
Hi.

Yes is a great car.

Probably not describing it that well - it is like a bit of kickback through steering over bumps. Is perfect on smooth roads.

Doing a bit of googling , steering kickback does seem to be a mercedes trend of late : -

Wheels - Mercedes-Benz CL500
"Firstly, like most modern Mercedes, all CLs on the launch program, regardless of spec, exhibited some degree of rack rattle and steering kickback "

Also - Mercedes E220 CDI SE | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express
"or the same steering feel, and there is a fair degree of kickback through the overly large wheel, too. "

Track Drive: Mercedes SL63 AMG (2008 onwards model) - *Reviews - MSN Cars - MSN UK
"Pity steering kickback over mid-corner bumps spoils this feeling of firm, long-wheelbase precision "

And review c63AMG on top gear stated
"The steering is pin-sharp and prone to kickback on the broken Spanish tarmac, "

So probably i did not describe symptoms very well and as i say the dealers e coupe also had same kickback.

All the reviews are for RHD - ?issue introduced on conversion to RHD?

Just used to BMW as been driving them for long time and steering is very different to mercs.

Regards

SH