E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Smile E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?

Apparently on the E550, if you push the M botton, the gears go in full mechanic with the pedals... But what does the C->S do on the E350?
anyone?
c
Attached Thumbnails E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?-af011901.28.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
The C stands for comfort mode and starts the car off in 2nd gear. The S stands for sport/standard mode and starts the car off in 1st gear.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 AM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
so its not anywhere the same as the (M) on the 550... totally different driving experience....?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
M just means "Manual", whereby you must shift gears using the paddles.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode

I have the same question when I saw an E550 Coupe at the dealer sometime ago. The major differences to my E350 Coupe that I noticed are:

1. There is no C/S button next to the gear selector lever in E550 Coupe. Instead, the button is marked “M” for Automatic Shift Program.

2. There is an additional button marked “Sport” called “Sport Driving Mode on/off Button” located in the center console, right next to “Seat Belt Presenter Switch”.

3. Push the “M” button by the Gear Selector Lever, it shows a line of numbers indicating the gear position at the bottom of Multifunction Display. While in E350 Coupe, it doesn’t have that line. It changes the letter “D” to “D1”, “D2”, “D3” … or “D6” when switching gear “D+” or “D-“ using Gear Selector Lever or Steering Wheel Gearshift Control (Paddle Shifters).

The sales rep couldn’t explain the differences clearly to me. I did some studies after I saw this post and here is what I think. But I could be wrong.

The biggest difference is, of course, the engines. The 2nd, in my opinion, is that E550 Coupe is equipped with what they called “Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode”. My understanding is this is not available for E350 Coupe, at least not in the US market. One can probably special order it but I am not sure.

So what does it do? The manual says the most important part of it is the “Variable Damping System”. By the way, this is operated by pushing the “Sport” button on the Center Console in E550 Coupe. It displays “S” in the Multifunction Display when you push the button and the red light on the button is lighted. It adjusts the damping to the respective driving condition automatically, according to the manual. It gives you firmer suspension tuning in sport driving mode provides enhanced road contact. Other than that, it also changes the behavior of gear-shifting and throttle response.

E350 Coupe in Sport mode also gives you a faster throttle response and late upshifts in Sport mode, although I don’t know whether they are programmed the same. It doesn’t change the suspension characteristic since it doesn’t have this Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode. I used to feel and think it did but now I think it’s only in my head. My wife’s GL350 Bluetech came with “Adaptive Damping System” (a special ordered item) which I think it’s the same thing with different terms. And the suspension is easily noticeably different in Sport and Comfort modes. The ride is so different that I read someone said in the GL forum it’s like buying one car and get two and I agree with that. I do not have the same feeling for E350 Coupe.

The window sticker of my E350 Coupe says “AGILITY CONTROL Suspension with Stroke-Dependent Damping System” as standard. I have the Appearance Package which upgrades it to “AGILITY CONTROL Sport Suspension”. Basically I think it’s just stiffer.

About “M” button, I was mostly interested in it when I saw the E550 Coupe. Again because I have the Appearance Package, and it comes with paddle shifters on the steering wheel, I thought I could do manual shifting on my E350 Coupe the same way, and just displays differently on the multifunction display. Well, I start to think that’s not the case.

I find in the Operator’s Manual actually has a separated description of “Manual Shift Program” for the “M” button available on vehicles with Dynamic Handling Package, E550 Coupe in this case. For what a standard E350 Coupe is equipped, the description is under the title “Gear Ranges” and it says:

“With the automatic transmission in drive position D and driving in automatic program mode C or S, you can limit or extend the gear range, see “One-touch ” gearshifting”

This is something I didn’t realize before. I always thought it would operate just like driving a stick when I activate “Manual” mode, or start using the paddle shifters. Not true, even with E550 Coupe. The manual says:

“If you press on the accelerator pedal when the engine has reached the revolution limit of the current gear, the automatic transmission will upshift beyond manual mode M selected.” Further, “ To avoid overrevving the engine when downshifting, the automatic transmission will not shift into a lower gear if the engine’s maximum speed would be exceeded.”

Although different from what I thought, but I can understand why they design like that for automatic tranmission. The part that still confuses me is, what’s the difference then between the “Gear Ranges limit or extend” for E350 Coupe, and the “Manual Shift Program” for E550 Coupe? They are both not 100% manual anyway.

From the other post of Christiaan, I understand you are buying an E350 Coupe from the US and to be shipped to your country. Well, I will suggest you to think again since you notice and raise this difference. I have been thinking recently selling my E350 Coupe because I only put 2,500 miles on it for the last six months and it will probably even less than that in the next 6 months. The idea is to sell it now, and get a 550, even Cabriolet version, by end of this year or early next year. But, wife hasn’t approved that. So if you are like me into all the features and details, which I think you are from all the things you noticed and posted, I would advise you to get an E550 Coupe.

The price difference is US$6,600 between 550 and 350 Coupe. And I understand you want Appearance Package so the gap will be narrowed down to US$5,900. It’s individual whether that’s worthwhile for the V8 and all that extra power. But when adding the “Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode”, I would think it is worth.

But don’t get me wrong, I love my E350 Coupe and it’s absolutely more than enough for daily driving. It’s also a perfect cruiser. The above is strictly what money can buy.

Hope this helps and I hope someone can shed some lights on the manual driving confusions.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
When you pull the paddle shifters on either the E350 or E550, you are limiting the range of gears that the car can use. When the display says D4 for example, the car will shift from 1-4 on its own but will never exceed 4 gear.

In the E550, you can control when the car shifts more directly when you press the M button. The M button gives you control of up and downshifts. The car will shift itself at redline, but otherwise will obey what you tell it. if you leave the car in 4 for example, it will not shift higher than 4 and will not automatically downshift to a lower gear unless you completely stop or slow down so much that 4th would bog. Once you start again, it will not shift until you tell it to or you hit redline.

The sport button stiffens the suspension electronically and makes the car shift later (hold) all gears longer. It also makes the car start in 1st gear and practically locks out of 7. You can combine sport mode and "M" or just let the computer do all the work.

The C-S switch in the 350 just remaps the transmission shift points but does not alter the suspension.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM

CLS55
RTFM
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 PM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Originally Posted by fs1013
I have the same question when I saw an E550 Coupe at the dealer sometime ago. The major differences to my E350 Coupe that I noticed are:

1. There is no C/S button next to the gear selector lever in E550 Coupe. Instead, the button is marked “M” for Automatic Shift Program.

2. There is an additional button marked “Sport” called “Sport Driving Mode on/off Button” located in the center console, right next to “Seat Belt Presenter Switch”.

3. Push the “M” button by the Gear Selector Lever, it shows a line of numbers indicating the gear position at the bottom of Multifunction Display. While in E350 Coupe, it doesn’t have that line. It changes the letter “D” to “D1”, “D2”, “D3” … or “D6” when switching gear “D+” or “D-“ using Gear Selector Lever or Steering Wheel Gearshift Control (Paddle Shifters).

The sales rep couldn’t explain the differences clearly to me. I did some studies after I saw this post and here is what I think. But I could be wrong.

The biggest difference is, of course, the engines. The 2nd, in my opinion, is that E550 Coupe is equipped with what they called “Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode”. My understanding is this is not available for E350 Coupe, at least not in the US market. One can probably special order it but I am not sure.

So what does it do? The manual says the most important part of it is the “Variable Damping System”. By the way, this is operated by pushing the “Sport” button on the Center Console in E550 Coupe. It displays “S” in the Multifunction Display when you push the button and the red light on the button is lighted. It adjusts the damping to the respective driving condition automatically, according to the manual. It gives you firmer suspension tuning in sport driving mode provides enhanced road contact. Other than that, it also changes the behavior of gear-shifting and throttle response.

E350 Coupe in Sport mode also gives you a faster throttle response and late upshifts in Sport mode, although I don’t know whether they are programmed the same. It doesn’t change the suspension characteristic since it doesn’t have this Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode. I used to feel and think it did but now I think it’s only in my head. My wife’s GL350 Bluetech came with “Adaptive Damping System” (a special ordered item) which I think it’s the same thing with different terms. And the suspension is easily noticeably different in Sport and Comfort modes. The ride is so different that I read someone said in the GL forum it’s like buying one car and get two and I agree with that. I do not have the same feeling for E350 Coupe.

The window sticker of my E350 Coupe says “AGILITY CONTROL Suspension with Stroke-Dependent Damping System” as standard. I have the Appearance Package which upgrades it to “AGILITY CONTROL Sport Suspension”. Basically I think it’s just stiffer.

About “M” button, I was mostly interested in it when I saw the E550 Coupe. Again because I have the Appearance Package, and it comes with paddle shifters on the steering wheel, I thought I could do manual shifting on my E350 Coupe the same way, and just displays differently on the multifunction display. Well, I start to think that’s not the case.

I find in the Operator’s Manual actually has a separated description of “Manual Shift Program” for the “M” button available on vehicles with Dynamic Handling Package, E550 Coupe in this case. For what a standard E350 Coupe is equipped, the description is under the title “Gear Ranges” and it says:

“With the automatic transmission in drive position D and driving in automatic program mode C or S, you can limit or extend the gear range, see “One-touch ” gearshifting”

This is something I didn’t realize before. I always thought it would operate just like driving a stick when I activate “Manual” mode, or start using the paddle shifters. Not true, even with E550 Coupe. The manual says:

“If you press on the accelerator pedal when the engine has reached the revolution limit of the current gear, the automatic transmission will upshift beyond manual mode M selected.” Further, “ To avoid overrevving the engine when downshifting, the automatic transmission will not shift into a lower gear if the engine’s maximum speed would be exceeded.”

Although different from what I thought, but I can understand why they design like that for automatic tranmission. The part that still confuses me is, what’s the difference then between the “Gear Ranges limit or extend” for E350 Coupe, and the “Manual Shift Program” for E550 Coupe? They are both not 100% manual anyway.

From the other post of Christiaan, I understand you are buying an E350 Coupe from the US and to be shipped to your country. Well, I will suggest you to think again since you notice and raise this difference. I have been thinking recently selling my E350 Coupe because I only put 2,500 miles on it for the last six months and it will probably even less than that in the next 6 months. The idea is to sell it now, and get a 550, even Cabriolet version, by end of this year or early next year. But, wife hasn’t approved that. So if you are like me into all the features and details, which I think you are from all the things you noticed and posted, I would advise you to get an E550 Coupe.

The price difference is US$6,600 between 550 and 350 Coupe. And I understand you want Appearance Package so the gap will be narrowed down to US$5,900. It’s individual whether that’s worthwhile for the V8 and all that extra power. But when adding the “Dynamic Handling Package with Sport Driving Mode”, I would think it is worth.

But don’t get me wrong, I love my E350 Coupe and it’s absolutely more than enough for daily driving. It’s also a perfect cruiser. The above is strictly what money can buy.

Hope this helps and I hope someone can shed some lights on the manual driving confusions.
Great write up... !
It is quite confusing as you said.. i still really dont get the whole driving experience difference besides the suspension adjustment...
Yea, im looking for one in the US.. have been looking @ this one look:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

what do you think...? what color is your 350?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Mine is also Steel Grey, but with black interior. I attached 3 pictures taken when I just got it last October.

Compare to the one you are looking, mine has additional Wood/Leather Steering Wheel Package and DISTRONIC PLUS Package.

You must have your reasons not trying to buy it in your own country. But you know the Navigation won't work outside North America, right? Also, I had to sign an agreement with the dealer NOT to export the car within one year or so when I bought it. They said it's a requirement by MBUSA. So you may want to ask the seller if they want to export.
Attached Thumbnails E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?-p1020917.jpg   E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?-p1020928.jpg   E550 comes with a M button, the E350 comes with another one, whats the diff?-p1020942.jpg  

Last edited by fs1013; 04-30-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
The E-Coupe really looks like it's on stilts...
Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Mine is also Steel Grey, but with black interior. I attached 3 pictures taken when I just got it last October.

Compare to the one you are looking, mine has additional Wood/Leather Steering Wheel Package and DISTRONIC PLUS Package.

You must have your reasons not trying to buy it in your own country. But you know the Navigation won't work outside North America, right? Also, I had to sign an agreement with the dealer NOT to export the car within one year or so when I bought it. They said it's a requirement by MBUSA. So you may want to ask the seller if they want to export.
Congrats on your car, looks really nice.. Inside color black was the best choice!
Yea, MB dealers here are really something, they overprice the vehicles...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by AJRDU
When you pull the paddle shifters on either the E350 or E550, you are limiting the range of gears that the car can use. When the display says D4 for example, the car will shift from 1-4 on its own but will never exceed 4 gear.

In the E550, you can control when the car shifts more directly when you press the M button. The M button gives you control of up and downshifts. The car will shift itself at redline, but otherwise will obey what you tell it. if you leave the car in 4 for example, it will not shift higher than 4 and will not automatically downshift to a lower gear unless you completely stop or slow down so much that 4th would bog. Once you start again, it will not shift until you tell it to or you hit redline.
Thank for the explanation. It's a bit clearer to me now. This is my first car with this kind of "smart" transmission". My last car was a 15 years old SAAB with simple auto transmission. And the even previous ones were manual gears. So I don't have any idea with the latest technology.

I took the car out for a ride today and tried the paddle shifters. As you said, it only shifted within the range that I set. Pretty neat for downhill driving providing engine brake. However, I have my doubt of what you said above highlighted in red. I didn't (want to) try it but checked the manual. And it says it will shift up if you press on the accelerator pedal when the engine has reached the revolution limit of the current gear range.

This leads me back to the same question, what's the difference between gear range limit/extend and manual shifting? Obviously they both shift up and down automatically when there is a need to protect the engine/transmission. The only difference that I can see is, on manual mode, it will not down shift unless the car feels it's necessary, while on E350 Coupe it will do normal gear shifting within the specified range.

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
The E-Coupe really looks like it's on stilts...
I think it's more to do with my photographic technique, which doesn't exist...

Also, it happened that two pictures were taken in the parking lot with grid lines. It does give you that feeling in contrast to the side chrome line of the car. The car is low when standing right next to it.

Originally Posted by christiaan
Congrats on your car, looks really nice.. Inside color black was the best choice!
Yea, MB dealers here are really something, they overprice the vehicles...
Thanks, wife likes nothing else but black. I picked steel grey when she was not in the country. And this is why I get to have it instead of the GL350 (I played the game well!). The color seems to change under different light conditions. It's almost dark in the evenings and shows sometimes a little bluish sometimes a little greenish under the sun. (or it could be just me getting old).

Good luck with your purchase! Let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's more to do with my photographic technique, which doesn't exist...

Also, it happened that two pictures were taken in the parking lot with grid lines. It does give you that feeling in contrast to the side chrome line of the car. The car is low when standing right next to it.
I wish I could blame you

I have my coupe parked next to my mother's sedan, and the coupe actually has more fender gap. Worse still, the front of the coupe sits higher than the rear!