E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

C207 "Short Road Test"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CLE53AMG
C207 "Short Road Test"

recap, first 30k miles

model: E550C, 2010
price: $60,000
options: P2 & Appearance

OWNERSHIP COSTS
sunscreen broke (warranty)
front brakes need replacement ($800)
driver airbag electrical problem (replaced once, serviced twice / warranty)
two sets of new rear tires, $1200 (at 20k and 27k) -> don't buy ZR pirellis, buy A/S. not as sticky but the ZR's slip everywhere and burn up quick.
scheduled services - 2 (~$700)
alignment ($120), wipers ($70) four wheel repairs & 2 tire replacements (i bought the insurance at purchase, thankfully, so cost was $0)
insurance: $1,500 per year.
depreciation: ~$20,000 / don't want to think about it / who cares / a lot.

operating expenses: $2,890. insurance+deprec: $25,000

UPGRADES
subwoofer system $1,200
tinted metallic windows including windshield for glare. incl. in purchase $.

MPG
16.5 overall. 22.5 HWY, 15 city. i drive like a maniac, usually.

TAKEAWAYS
great experience overall, very sexy car - get compliments constantly. it almost looks and rides like a small, imitation Continental GT. i kind of wish it had the ability to adjust various elements separately and independently instead of just a sport button. i wish i could make the throttle more responsive, the steering tight but the suspension loose for the highway.. but alas, i can't. pretty numb steering, very comfortable for long drives. the appearance package provides seat bolsters - very imp for comfort. i don't regret this purchase, but an E sedan would be more comfortable and spacious for the price point. mmm, very powerful engine but not as precise as the old say 2001 M5 that we used to have (comparable naturally aspirated V8). the 7 speed auto is nice and very smooth but tends to shift too much and is not responsive in comfort and too high revving in sport. wish there was an inbetween, maybe they should call it "normal life mode". that would be cool.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw 550i
pretty cool info. thanks for taking the time to do this. very much appreciated!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM

CLE53AMG
Btw if I drive conservatively I get 26.5 on the HWY and 17 in the city
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by cmcbenz
recap, first 30k miles

model: E550C, 2010
price: $60,000
options: P2 & Appearance

OWNERSHIP COSTS
sunscreen broke (warranty)
front brakes need replacement ($800)
driver airbag electrical problem (replaced once, serviced twice / warranty)
two sets of new rear tires, $1200 (at 20k and 27k) -> don't buy ZR pirellis, buy A/S. not as sticky but the ZR's slip everywhere and burn up quick.
scheduled services - 2 (~$700)
alignment ($120), wipers ($70) four wheel repairs & 2 tire replacements (i bought the insurance at purchase, thankfully, so cost was $0)
insurance: $1,500 per year.
depreciation: ~$20,000 / don't want to think about it / who cares / a lot.

operating expenses: $2,890. insurance+deprec: $25,000

UPGRADES
subwoofer system $1,200
tinted metallic windows including windshield for glare. incl. in purchase $.

MPG
16.5 overall. 22.5 HWY, 15 city. i drive like a maniac, usually.

TAKEAWAYS
great experience overall, very sexy car - get compliments constantly. it almost looks and rides like a small, imitation Continental GT. i kind of wish it had the ability to adjust various elements separately and independently instead of just a sport button. i wish i could make the throttle more responsive, the steering tight but the suspension loose for the highway.. but alas, i can't. pretty numb steering, very comfortable for long drives. the appearance package provides seat bolsters - very imp for comfort. i don't regret this purchase, but an E sedan would be more comfortable and spacious for the price point. mmm, very powerful engine but not as precise as the old say 2001 M5 that we used to have (comparable naturally aspirated V8). the 7 speed auto is nice and very smooth but tends to shift too much and is not responsive in comfort and too high revving in sport. wish there was an inbetween, maybe they should call it "normal life mode". that would be cool.
Thank you very much for your honest and informative post.

I am waiting for the 2012 E350 coupe version of your car. Compared with you, I have only 2 1/2 hours total time behind the wheel of two demos, but I was alone both times to go and do as I pleased. Both were 2010's, one with sport suspension and the other without it.

Based upon that limited experience, I concur with much of your evaluation. In particular, I found the steering to be numb and kind of "loose." The first demo had the sport (Appearance) package and the car seemed to wander a good bit on the highway. Not noticable in urban driving. The demo without the sport package did not feel quite as imprecise and had a smoother ride. I chalked this up to the 18" P Zero Nero's on the sport package. Looks great, but I will not buy it. Pa. roads are a minefield, at least in my area.

Yours is the first post I've seen anywhere mentioning multiple repairs. I've been waiting to see if there would be any, especially since Consumer Reports, while praising the reliability of the new E350 sedans, stated that new E coupe reliability has been terrible, at least through the 2010 model year.

I hope at least some of the wear and tear maintenance you reported may be attributable to your "maniacal" driving (your words, not mine ) and will not be a recurring problem for others due to design.

It would be great to get honest reports from other long-term drivers of the E coupes, including a few "sane" ones. X2.

Anyway, even if your car causes a migraine now and then, you still have the pleasure of driving IMO one of the most unique-looking, flat-out beautiful cars on the road.

Al
Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM

CLE53AMG
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Thank you very much for your honest and informative post.

on the sport package. Looks great, but I will not buy it. Pa. roads are a minefield, at least in my area.

Anyway, even if your car causes a migraine now and then, you still have the pleasure of driving IMO one of the most unique-looking, flat-out beautiful cars on the road.

Al
You're welcome
Thank you for the compliment.
Since you live in PA, you may want to (gasp) consider an Audi Quattro. I was born in Erie and my family is all from Western PA, so I know what it's like! Or maybe an E350 4matic sedan. Let me know what you end up with ! And good luck on your search.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by cmcbenz
You're welcome
Thank you for the compliment.
Since you live in PA, you may want to (gasp) consider an Audi Quattro. I was born in Erie and my family is all from Western PA, so I know what it's like! Or maybe an E350 4matic sedan. Let me know what you end up with ! And good luck on your search.
Gasp indeed, heehee.

No, I'm afraid I've fallen in love, never a good thing with cars. Ergo, rational thinking is out the window.

I'm hoping the 17" wheels/tires and kinder suspension will be fine for what's left of the roads around here. Won't look quite as sexy, but still sexy enough IMO. Just hoping they don't change the OEM 17" rims design for 2012; I like it, although an extra inch or more does look better.

Continued enjoyment with your Benz.

Al
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

CLE53AMG
ok so turns out the brakes didn't need to be replaced, they said i could wait until ~50,000 miles.