E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

7-spd Transmission on E Coupe. Same as SLK(r171)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
7-spd Transmission on E Coupe. Same as SLK(r171)?

The 7-Spd Transmission on the E Coupe both current and revised 2012 model trannies, are they the same ones from SLK R171?

I drove my friend's R171 SLK350 couple times and I hated the feel and performance of the transmission. My E90's ZF 6spd autos were much better.

I look forward to purchase 2012 E550 coupe and if it has clumsy transmission like that, I might reconsider. Can anyone help me?

I'm not asking for 7spd AMG trannies, but at least something much more responsive and sportier..
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
No the 2012 models will be using the 7G plus gearbox which is really good, try and get a test drive in one and you'll see, every bit as good as an E90 ZF if not better.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

bmw
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
No the 2012 models will be using the 7G plus gearbox which is really good, try and get a test drive in one and you'll see, every bit as good as an E90 ZF if not better.
I thought the new 7G plus is geared towards efficiency, not much of an improvement for performance or sportier feel?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM

E350 Coupe
In order to find out how the E550 Coupe feels go drive one. A 7 speed transmission will always feel smoother than a 6 speed transmission. The gear ratios are closer thru the shift band. Hence the less sporty feel. A 5 speed transmission will feel sportier than a 6 speed. The 550 has significantly more horsepower than the SLK 350.

If you don't like the E550 after driving it...just buy another BMW...simple.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 AM

bmw
Originally Posted by steelgrey
In order to find out how the E550 Coupe feels go drive one. A 7 speed transmission will always feel smoother than a 6 speed transmission. The gear ratios are closer thru the shift band. Hence the less sporty feel. A 5 speed transmission will feel sportier than a 6 speed. The 550 has significantly more horsepower than the SLK 350.

If you don't like the E550 after driving it...just buy another BMW...simple.
It's not number of gears that makes a transmission sporty. 7 speed transmissions from different suppliers will have different engagement feel. It varies between the types of automatic trannies as well such as DCT. Define sporty feel to you. 5spd transmission will not feel any sportier than a tranny with more gears. I'm talking more about responsive and fast engagements without too much jerking. I think you are talking about granny-smooth tranny. 5spd auto found in hyundai could feel just as "smooth". I don't need that crap in my car. I was just disappointed with SLK transmission. I thought it would be one hell of a better transmission than ZF 6spd. At least MB advertised it like one.

Anything more technical than "buy it or don't buy it" type of information? I rather trade a little more sporty for luxury this time, that is why I'm looking at mercedes. If I wanted something prettier, probably Audi.
Isn't that how it always works. Luxury = MB, Sporty = BMW, Pretty = Audi.

Last edited by lux.sh; 06-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
I dont understand OP's concerns. I feel that the tranny in the E550C is smooth as butter! You can barely feel the shifts. I wouldnt use a SLK350 experience spoil your impression of an E Coupe. Give it a shot, it should be just as smooth as mine.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM

E350 Coupe
nauticalx he's not looking for smooth. He hasn't driven an E550 coupe. lux.sh what do you need to know that you can't determine by test driving an E550 coupe. Point is if you find it lacking the feel you want then it has nothing to do with what MB advertises or doesn't advertise. If you want technical info it's available on the web. I do not agree that the gear spacing does not make a difference in feel. Also I don't agree that Audi=pretty. I find the Audi's boxy and I have never liked the gaping mouth grill. My personal opinion is that the new BMW 6 series is the car for you.