E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E350 Cabriolet vs. E350 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
E350 Cabriolet vs. E350 Sedan

Just wondering if there is any difference in it engine specs.

Any statistics on which model is more reliable i.e., fewer faults / breaks

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Just wondering if there is any difference in it engine specs.

Any statistics on which model is more reliable i.e., fewer faults / breaks

Thanks in advance!!
If you are referring to the U.S. versions, I am not aware of any differences in the motors. Both should be same design, same horsepower, same torque, etc. They may of course have different performance and fuel efficiency characteristcs, given variables such as different chassis, weight, tires, perhaps gearing or final drive ratios (don't know for sure), etc.

If you're referring to the Euro versions, I don't know anything for certain, other than they will probably have better fuel efficiency due to lean-burn and stop-start tech. Those two features had to be deleted from the U.S. motors, due at least in part to our rather adulterated fuel.

As for reliability, the latest info. I have is from Consumer Reports.org.

They rated the 2010 E350 sedan as Better Than Average reliability. To sum up their opinion of the E350 coupe's reliability, well......it's awful. Again that's the 2010 model. Lots of the usual electrical problems, plus body integrity, body hardware, audio system problems, etc. The major systems like engines, transmissions, etc., looked OK.

It's important to note that I haven't seen massive complaints about the coupe's reliability posted by owners anywhere, including here on this forum.

Also, MB has had 2 full model years to get things right with both cars. Actually, one year for the E350 Cab, but much of it is the same as the Coupe introduced before it.

In my own experience, my 2000 CLK was in its third model year when I bought it. It was a much improved car from what was being reported on in its initial 1998 year of production.

We shall see.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 06-21-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
If you are referring to the U.S. versions, I am not aware of any differences in the motors. Both should be same design, same horsepower, same torque, etc. They may of course have different performance and fuel efficiency characteristcs, given variables such as different chassis, weight, tires, perhaps gearing or final drive ratios (don't know for sure), etc.

If you're referring to the Euro versions, I don't know anything for certain, other than they will probably have better fuel efficiency due to lean-burn and stop-start tech. Those two features had to be deleted from the U.S. motors, due at least in part to our rather adulterated fuel.

As for reliability, the latest info. I have is from Consumer Reports.org.

They rated the 2010 E350 sedan as Better Than Average reliability. To sum up their opinion of the E350 coupe's reliability, well......it's awful. Again that's the 2010 model. Lots of the usual electrical problems, plus body integrity, body hardware, audio system problems, etc. The major systems like engines, transmissions, etc., looked OK.

It's important to note that I haven't seen massive complaints about the coupe's reliability posted by owners anywhere, including here on this forum.

Also, MB has had 2 full model years to get things right with both cars. Actually, one year for the E350 Cab, but much of it is the same as the Coupe introduced before it.

In my own experience, my 2000 CLK was in its third model year when I bought it. It was a much improved car from what was being reported on in its initial 1999 year of production.

We shall see.
Hi - Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Much appreciated. I am really debating when is the right time to buy E350 Cab. Should I buy 2012 or wait for one more year until 2013 and let the new engine settle down?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Hi - Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Much appreciated. I am really debating when is the right time to buy E350 Cab. Should I buy 2012 or wait for one more year until 2013 and let the new engine settle down?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Heehee, I am the world's most cautious guy and I am hardly ever an early adopter of anything, especially human creations as complex as these new cars.

So here I am having ordered a 2012 E coupe without even knowing how much it will cost yet and with some uncertainty as to delivery time, not to mention the brand new drive train.

If it's the new motor that concerns you, please be assured that the same direct injection motor has been in use in MB vehicles in Europe for a few years now, so they've hopefully had time to get the bugs out. I have not seen any widespread posting concerning Euro reliability.

As I said before, the U.S. version of the motor cannot and will not be exactly the same as the Euro. So there is some room for concern, I guess. Also, the transmission will be a new version of the existing 7G-Tronic: the "7G-Tronic Plus," I believe. Supposedly, it will add to the increased fuel efficiency anticipated with the new motor. I don't know what that means for performance, however. In my experience, engineering that increases economy tends to decrease performance. With MB, however, that may well not be the case.

Overall, I'm placing faith in MB to adapt what appears to be a reliable Euro motor for use in the U.S. Here's hoping!

You may also wish to post your concern regarding the motor in the E350/550 Sedan (W212) forum. It's a more active forum than this one, and they do get quite an international mix of posters from time to time.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 06-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Heehee, I am the world's most cautious guy and I am hardly ever an early adopter of anything, especially human creations as complex as these new cars.

So here I am having ordered a 2012 E coupe without even knowing how much it will cost yet and with some uncertainty as to delivery time, not to mention the brand new drive train.

If it's the new motor that concerns you, please be assured that the same direct injection motor has been in use in MB vehicles in Europe for a few years now, so they've hopefully had time to get the bugs out. I have not seen any widespread posting concerning Euro reliability.

As I said before, the U.S. version of the motor cannot and will not be exactly the same as the Euro. So there is some room for concern, I guess. Also, the transmission will be a new version of the existing 7G-Tronic: the "7G-Tronic Plus," I believe. Supposedly, it will add to the increased fuel efficiency anticipated with the new motor. I don't know what that means for performance, however. In my experience, engineering that increases economy tends to decrease performance. With MB, you never know, however.

Overall, I'm placing faith in MB to adapt what appears to be a reliable Euro motor for use in the U.S. that has already been well tested in Europe. Here's hoping!

You may also wish to post your concern regarding the motor in the E350/550 Sedan (W212) forum. It's a more active forum than this one, and they do get quite a few posters from Europe and elsewhere from time to time.
Once again, thank you so much for your detailed insight.

So you ordered 2012 as well. Good luck. I am looking forward to Euro Delivery as well.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
You are very welcome!

I've only been on this site since April. I have received invaluable help from several knowledgeable people here. It's nice to be able to return the favor for a change.

Please keep us posted on the delivery process and post pictures when you get the car, if possible.

Good luck and by all means enjoy that great Euro delivery experience.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 AM

You are very welcome!

I've only been on this site since April. I have received invaluable help from several knowledgeable people here. It's nice to be able to return the favor for a change.

Please keep us posted on the delivery process and post pictures when you get the car, if possible.

Good luck and by all means enjoy that great Euro delivery experience.
Thanks again for your response. Will keep you posted!!