E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Eibach pro springs fitted - Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 AM
MFD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class coupe 350cdi
Eibach pro springs fitted - Newbie

Good Morning / Afternoon
I'm a forum newbie from the UK. I have been driving my E350cdi since November and finally decided to take the plunge and fit the Eibach pro spring kit yesterday.

I found the original springs / suspension to be a bit spongy under turn in and braking. Noticeable nose dive when braking and on fast (ish) bends the car felt a little wallowy if a bump was encountered.

So on went the Eibachs yesterday. First impressions, the car immediately sat a little lower (very nice), although a little more settling may give another few tiny millimetres more. Driving was a marked improvement. Oddly I found the ride comfort level to be near identical to the original setup, although (and you may laugh) I found the way in which it handled smooth bumps was actually better than standard, no discomfort at all and seemed to smooth out the compression and rebound of the dampers.

Turn in was more accurate and the rear felt more connected with the front.

No rubbing or noise at present. All in all, super impressed so far.

Have ordered a set of 10mm hub centric spacers for the rear to try, hopefully will bring the wheel out nicely without looking daft or causing nuisance rubbing on the wing when compressed.

Has anyone lowered on springs and is also running 10mm spacers?? I’m keen to get some feedback.

Thanks Everyone.

Michael
Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Hey there Michael, glad you're enjoying your car.

I know exactly what you mean about the nose diving under braking and on (quick) corner entry. Have you noticed any need for the camber correction kit that is available now? Also where have you sourced the spacers from? Did they supply you with some extended lug bolts too? I found most places to be a bit too pricey for what they were so just went with 3mm spacers for caliper clearance and no need for extended bolts.

I've been warned away from having it lowered though by my dealership because they've said some cars they've fitted brabus suspension or springs to have had issues with the alignment but I'm not so sure which is why I'm sat on the fence about it, if you're not having any issues then I may as well take the plunge and get some.

Also are you running on the 18s or 19s? I noticed that on 19s my car is smoother than the standard 18s but I put that down to the tyres.

Nab
Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM
MFD

E class coupe 350cdi
Hi Dr-Nab
Yes loving the car, few squeak niggles on the pan roof but nothing a blast of white silicon didnt cure.

I havent thought of the camber kit as yet. It is early days on the springs, and they also performed a 4 wheel alignment for the price and only a few tweaks were needed (I'm told) so fingers crossed.

My dealer did quote me for the brabus springs but cost was rather prohibitive versus the eibach.. But they didnt mention any adverse comments regarding aligment. Now you have raised it though I will keep an eye on them carefully.

Would it be fair to say that the result would be excess negative camber? or just general alignment issues?

I ordered the spacers this morning from DC Performance (.co.uk) and after a few emails and calls we agreed on the 10mm (as smallest hubcentric version) and after I measured my lugs / bolts along with emailed pic they are including lonnger ones in with the order.

But for sure the cost is high for what they are.. total for spacers and longer bolts is £111!!! ouch. I just hope they look OK, work and dont foul anything...

I measured the inside gap and as standard its quite close to inside wing, I believe 10mm will bring the rear wheels out to sit almost inline with the middle of the wing lip. I'm guessing if it compresses all the way I'll be rubbing, although I noticed a small bolt on the inside of the rear wing which I guess holds the inner plastic section to the steel outer wing. and thought that's already a potential rubbing place even on standard non spaced wheels, so my guess was under normal driving the rear wheel may not enter the inside of the wing by much.. (big guess on my part though!)

I am on the stock 18" AMG alloys at present. No plans to change is quite like the design.

But for sure, the new springs feel great all the benfits of a taut suspension when cornering and braking but so far smooth ride (dare I say better).

M
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 AM
MFD

E class coupe 350cdi
So the springs have settled a wee bit. Fitted the 10mm Eibach hubcentric spacers on the rear with longer bolts. Car looks great. Its a subtle amount of drop but no rubbing so far. However as Dr-Nab mentioned, I do have some clear visbale evidence of negative camber on the rear wheels.. It is visible, not to the extreme but is there. Will be looking into a camber adjustment kit to see if I can dial that out. As for cornering, well, with neg camber, car falls into corners nicely but due to the rear wheel drive and neg camber, it doesnt like coming out of the corner and the rear wants to steer you round more. Nice feeling but could be costly on tyres.

Just received my 55Tech grill too, so hopefully fit this on Wed eve. I will get some pics posted soon too..
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
I do think we need to see some pics soon :P The 55 Tech grill transforms the way the front looks to me.

I'm not sure mine needs any more encouraging to have the rear steering round more can't wait to get back on my 19s though it just feels more settled and less skittish.

Hope you're enjoying your car, there's a big meeting of MB's at Silverstone at Trax this Sunday should pop along if you can think it's going to be pretty big this year!

Nab