E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Blacking out chrome window trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe sport
Blacking out chrome window trim

Hi,

I am looking for info / instructions / tips on blacking out the chrome window trim on my e coupe using vinyl tape.

I also want to remove the sliver stripe running along the side of the car, i have read elsewhere this can be removed but I have no idea how..

Any help much appreciated :-)

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG Sport
I am interested also, going for all black everything look ? I have no idea how to take it off either but a friend of mine suggested to plasti dip the pieces which is low cost and durable
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
scotchcal can be used to cover up the window trim. I believe the lower cladding pulls right off (but don't quote me on that)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 AM

bmw 550i
lot of work involved in taking off the trim. i tried to black out the trim while it was on the car and didn't like the outcome. along the upper trim, the rubber weatherstripping is so tight and close that it's hard to get the vinyl to sit/line up without damaging the rubber itself.

to take off the upper chrome trim, you pull the rubber from the door/window sill. you'll see some hex screws underneath, unscrew and shift the trim back to remove. the rear trim for both the top and bottom are tough, to access the screws because of the fixed triangle window in the back. tried to wiggle and maneuver around it, but ended up having to take it out and putting it back was a pain.

wrapping the individual pieces were an endeavor in it's own. maybe because i'm definitely
a perfectionist in my car mods, to the point of being **** the long upper pieces have the rubber weatherstripping slide through the whole part. i removed the thin, extremely thin, weatherstripping, and wrapped the piece. since i hung it over the edge, sliding the thin rubber strips back in was painful.

i used oracal gloss black vinyl. was going to use 3m matte black, but the gloss black definitely goes better with the pano rooftop and side mirror trim.

here are the pics from awhile back

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...y-e-coupe.html

good luck. let me know if you have any specific questions, but i'll tell you, not the easiest thing to do.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM

bmw 550i
the silver stripe (door moldings) can be removed with a heat gun/blow dryer and some fishing line/plastic razor blade. it's applied with 3m double sided tape, so heat up the molding and slide the fishing line/plastic razor blade behind it, careful not to scratch the car underneath it. you can pull the molding away as you slide behind it, but be extremely careful because you can bend it. remove the tape residue with some 3m adhesive remover and you're done.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe sport
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a big job to remove all the window trim and wrap it up...