E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Opinions on Appearance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
Opinions on Appearance Package

Hello Everybody -

I'm new to the E forum but I've been around on the GL forum since purchasing my 2007 GL 450 in April of 2007. I love my GL but I don't need that large of a vehicle anymore and I've always loved the look of the E Coupe, so I'm in talks with a local dealership about purchasing one.

One of the options I'm not sure about is the Appearance Package. A friend of mine has 2 E Sedans -- a 1999 without the Appearance Package and a 2002 with the low profile tires and sport handling of the appearance package. She loves her '99 and hates the '02. She feels the '99 handles & rides better. I'm not sure if the sport package makes that much of a difference or if it's really more of a difference between the model years.

Sorry for the long question/introduction but was wondering if anybody had opinions, positive or negative, about the appearance package.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the Appearance Package (18" wheels) on my E350 Coupe, and I had the 17" wheels on my last C350 Sport Sedan, both are on the somewhat similar chassis.

Personally, I like the Appearance Package, especially on a coupe -- not too soft at the corner, not too firm on the freeway. Unless our daily commute involves a lot of city potholes or poor pavement, I would highly recommend it.

Even just the Multicontour front seats are worth the package, they provide a lot of fine adjustments (triple lumbar support, shoulder support, adjustable side bolsters) to suit our body, extra nice if we have bad backs.

The 18" 5-spokes AMG wheels look great as well, and they are very easy to clean.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 12-22-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM

2014 GL 450
Thanks for the reply. I test drove one this evening & loved it. The car with the options I want is in Northern California so I'll find out tomorrow if it's still available.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
As already stated, if you have decent roads, IMO the Appearance Package is the way to go. My car has a firm, extremely smooth ride on good surfaces. On poorly paved roads, it's an annoyingly different story. On all surfaces the car handles great - inspires driver confidence.

Also, to me the coupe just doesn't look right without the larger wheels. Plus, with the sport suspension MB also lowers the car just a bit, which further contributes to the look.

And yes, the 18" AMG wheels are indeed very easy to clean. It helps that MB is apparently using new brake pads which tend to prevent those old grimy brake dust build-ups too. Compared to my last Benz, keeping the wheels clean is very easy.

If you get the 18" wheels/low profile tires, you may wish to consider getting the tires and wheels insurance MB offers through the dealer. I'm not a big fan of these types of policies but, after reading so many horror stories in these forums about low profile tire and rim failures due to road hazards, etc., I did get the policy. Although expensive, it is very liberal. Even if you make a mistake and bang the rim against a curb, etc., you're fully covered for repair or replacement. With my luck and previous wheel experience, I figured the only way I could guarantee I don't bang up the new rims is to pay big bucks for a policy I will never need to cover that.

Good luck with your purchase. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 PM

2014 GL 450
Thanks for the tip about the wheel insurance. I have that on my Harley and was wondering about it for the E.

There is a car in San Diego that I'm interested in. Hopefully on Monday we can seal the deal!