E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Command Display -> Dimmable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe 4Matic, 1956 Chevrolet Convertible, Lexus RX 350
Command Display -> Dimmable?

I am presuming it can't be done. But if so, how can a person dim the command display? I think it is a bit bright at night. It seems the dial to dim lights in the dash do not affect the command display.

Oh btw...asking about E350 4Matic Coupe.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Yes it can be done.

System > Settings > Display > Brightness. You can choose from Day, Night or Auto Modes or you can set it on a sliding scale. You can also turn off the display completely.

I still find it a bit bright even at the dimmest setting, but it does help make the map very readable.

MB has made many features of these cars adaptable to personal choice, but they don't always make it easy to figure out how!

Last edited by BenzMan369; 04-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
I tried the Night and Auto modes for the first time today. I think you may like this.

If you use Night mode, the screen is totally black, but all the important information, graphics, words, etc. are in bright lettering, easily read. Looks very cool, especially during the day.

In Auto mode, Comand will switch between the full brightness Day Mode and Night mode automatically as appropriate, but to have the black screen background during the day you need it set on Night mode.

You can also still select the overall screen brightness using the slider.

Let me know what you think.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe 4Matic, 1956 Chevrolet Convertible, Lexus RX 350
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
I tried the Night and Auto modes for the first time today. I think you may like this.

If you use Night mode, the screen is totally black, but all the important information, graphics, words, etc. are in bright lettering, easily read. Looks very cool, especially during the day.

In Auto mode, Comand will switch between the full brightness Day Mode and Night mode automatically as appropriate, but to have the black screen background during the day you need it set on Night mode.

You can also still select the overall screen brightness using the slider.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the input on your first reply. I had first searched using the menu at the steering column...then after reading your input carefully, I realized I had to do it at the system menu on the center screen.

I didn't notice the slider, as you have to press down on the knob while brightness is selected, and I had just went down and experimented with the auto, day, and night. Based on those settings, mine was on auto, and it was auto dimming at night, but still brighter than I like. I'll check tonight and see if I can dim it even more with the slider.

I'll experiment while driving during daylight and see what I think about the black background.

Thanks again.