E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do you keep original floor mats looking new?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG, Previous 2016 E550 Coupe, Previous 2012 E550 Coupe
How do you keep original floor mats looking new?

Hi all, I'm new here - recently took delivery of a Black/black w/ aluminum trim 2012 E550 Coupe Black, here in Markham ON Canada.

Was an Infiniti owner for years and finally made the leap, so far it's been amazing. I now know the difference between a fine automobile and just a car. Something I have often wrestled with was keeping the factory floor mats fresh looking as long as possible. Floor mats of late often have nice embroidery or metal emblems that I don't like to cover up.

That's what I have been doing in the past, getting carpeted mats from auto speciality to lay over the existing mats. Even just normal use or cleaning and the mats start to look roughed up very quickly. Something about a mint interior and scruffy mats just doesn't work for me.

Now, that's for the summer, in the winter it's a change to rubber winter mats with deep grooves to catch the mush and slush of a Canadian winter.
The trend with MB dealers here seems to be to install MB heavy rubber winter mats as an all season mat, not particularly stylish and dirt collectors with all the grooves.

What do you do? - Clean them, cover them or replace them?

I have done all three, I'm just surprised as how fragile car mats seem to be now.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Here in the Pacific Northwest where rain is the order of pretty much any day except for a 2 weeks in July, I just leave the all seasons in Vacuuming once a week or every other seems to take care of dirt.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Mercedes actually makes some pretty decent rubber mats with the MB logo on the sides. They are really a very practical way to keep your carpeted mats clean for good weather use. I bought them with the idea of switching them out with the carpeted mats but, once I got use to them I just leave them in.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by FreeSpeaker
Hi all, I'm new here - recently took delivery of a Black/black w/ aluminum trim 2012 E550 Coupe Black, here in Markham ON Canada.

Was an Infiniti owner for years and finally made the leap, so far it's been amazing. I now know the difference between a fine automobile and just a car. Something I have often wrestled with was keeping the factory floor mats fresh looking as long as possible. Floor mats of late often have nice embroidery or metal emblems that I don't like to cover up.

That's what I have been doing in the past, getting carpeted mats from auto speciality to lay over the existing mats. Even just normal use or cleaning and the mats start to look roughed up very quickly. Something about a mint interior and scruffy mats just doesn't work for me.

Now, that's for the summer, in the winter it's a change to rubber winter mats with deep grooves to catch the mush and slush of a Canadian winter.
The trend with MB dealers here seems to be to install MB heavy rubber winter mats as an all season mat, not particularly stylish and dirt collectors with all the grooves.

What do you do? - Clean them, cover them or replace them?

I have done all three, I'm just surprised as how fragile car mats seem to be now.
Thanks
A. spray a product like Scotch Guard in the areas that tend to get dirty.

B. Use automotive carpet and/or upholstery cleaner when they get really dirty. It's easy to use just scrub in the foam, let dry and vacuum up.

By doing the above I have eliminated the use of rubber mats to contain the dirt.

If your problem is wearing out the carpet then cover mats of your material of choice is really the only option.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
MB All Season Mats

Here's a pic of the All Seasons they really aren't that bad. You can get them online at Mercedes Parts Center for $62.70.
Attached Thumbnails How do you keep original floor mats looking new?-mats.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG, Previous 2016 E550 Coupe, Previous 2012 E550 Coupe
Thank you everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Thanks steelgrey for the pix of the all seasons - they are considerably more stylish than the rubber winter mats I was given - they will serve quite nicely for the winter - I'll check out the MB Parts centre.

...and ronsc - I hadn't considered using Scotch Gard on the summer mats - that's a good one.

Guess it's a psychological thing for me to switch out mats in tune with the season, so I can say goodbye to the Canadian winter and hello summer!