E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Window Tinting Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
Window Tinting Advice?

Had the windows tinted couple of days ago. They used quality 3M material and now find fine scratches on the material, not from raising or lowing the windows as the scratches go in all directions. The car was taken from their shop and parked in my garage and not moved or windows raised or lowered. Looks to be in the areas where they had to work the material to make it lay down on the glass, corners etc. I have never had this done so I don't know what is acceptable or not. I'm pretty much disgusted with this as I don't think there is one panel that escaped the scratching. Worst part is the worst one is the panel on the drivers side front where I have to sit and look at it. I'm assuming there's no fixing this damage. Is it possible to do this without scratching up the material? Not sure what to do with this now. Comments would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Raygt3
Had the windows tinted couple of days ago. They used quality 3M material and now find fine scratches on the material, not from raising or lowing the windows as the scratches go in all directions. The car was taken from their shop and parked in my garage and not moved or windows raised or lowered. Looks to be in the areas where they had to work the material to make it lay down on the glass, corners etc. I have never had this done so I don't know what is acceptable or not. I'm pretty much disgusted with this as I don't think there is one panel that escaped the scratching. Worst part is the worst one is the panel on the drivers side front where I have to sit and look at it. I'm assuming there's no fixing this damage. Is it possible to do this without scratching up the material? Not sure what to do with this now. Comments would be gratefully appreciated.

That is not normal, I had mine done with LLumac Ceramic tint and there were no scratches anywhere. I would call them up and tell them to re-do it. How much did you pay?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Definitely not normal. Sounds like a rookie mistake, working the material too hard, too long, or without proper lubrication.

When the material is placed on the window, it is like walpaper. It has to be worked from the center toward all the edges to get the air bubbles out and lay perfectly flat. This is where the scratches can be introduced.

Regards,
Don
Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 PM

2012 E550 Cab
Took the car back to the guy that did the work and he blamed all the scratches on the fact his boss wouldn't buy him a new application tool? They have to cost $2.00 WTH? Anyway, it's going back for a redo. Going to strip off the old and on with the new. Hoping this comes out scratch free. At least he now knows I'm not buying a half a**ed job. To be continued......
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550

Regards,
Don
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
What material did you use? Was it the 3M Crystalline? I've been really interested in this material but am having trouble finding installers.