E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2012 e350 coupe weather stripping noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe
2012 e350 coupe weather stripping noise?

My car has had this noise since day 1. Sounds like the drivers door glass is rubbing against the rear Windows's weatherstripping. I hear a almost constant rubbing sound in my left ear, and dealer says they don't hear it.

Does the door need adjusting? The weatherstripping need adjusting? Any ideas? (I'm surprised I haven't read anybody else complaining of this)

Thanks guys

Matt

Last edited by Mattk; 10-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM

BMW F10 M5
Originally Posted by Mattk
The weatherstripping need adjusting? Any ideas?
Matt
I'd try silicone spray on the weatherstripping first.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Welcome to the forum.

There should be zero opportunity for one glass panel to "rub" - have any movement or flexing - against the other. My car's glass shuts as tight as a drum with no flexing. It's as though there were a B pillar there, at least so far. And there is absolutely no squeaking or other noise.

I suspect that Used2be's advice is best, but you can also try this first:

Make sure both windows are fully closing properly. Turn the ignition key to position I or II. Activate the window switch for either window. When it appears to be fully closed do not release the switch but keep it activated for an additional second. Release but immediately re-activate the switch (in the closing position again) for an additional second. Repeat this procedure with the other window. This is called a window reset. It should help insure that the windows are closing as tightly as possible.

If the noise continues, inspect the windows for even the slightest sign of an obstruction or foreign matter anywhere. If you find something, remove it if possible and then carry out the reset procedure as above.

If noise continues, ask the dealer to apply one of their many anti-squeaking products to the windows. Actually, they should have done that for you upon receiving your complaint, even if they can't hear the noise. You're the one who has to live with it, not them. And if the dealer does it rather than you, then it's on the record just in case something else more serious develops with the windows down the road.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then yes, perhaps a door is out of alignment or something else needs to be corrected. I assume the car is otherwise operating properly and rides smoothly, with no rattles, shaking or vibration of any kind from the drivetrain or elsewhere.

Judging by my car, bottom line is that you should hear zero noise from the windows of your car.

Good luck and please let us know how this is resolved.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM

E350 coupe
I appreciate the above suggestions and I will try both tonight. It is so annoying to hear the window rubbing against the "B-pillar" weatherstripping of the rear window.