E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Turbo hose collapse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205 C250 Sport prem+ Airmatic / E220 CDI Coupe / Lexus RX400h
Turbo hose collapse

A word of warning to anyone with a 2011/12 Diesel E-Class.

I was driving on the motorway last week cruising @ 80mph when I lost all engine power. Cruise was still set at 80mph but I lost all revs and rolled to a stop on the hard-shoulder.

I switched the ignition off, left the engine off for 5 minutes, switched back on and all was okay and I arrived safely at destination, I called Mobilo who said as the car was drivable there wasn't a problem and not to worry about it!

My MB dealer has diagnosed the problem as a collapsing turbo hose. Basically the OEM hose has a weak spot and when air is sucked through, the hose collapses. The engine keeps on sucking, creates a vaccum and as it can't get any air in, it looses all pressure and goes into limp-home mode. My car had only done 20,000 miles.

Turning the ignition off resets the limp-home setting. It also allows the hose to re-inflate.

Apparantly it's a known problem on diesel E-Classes built in 2011/12 and my dealer has replaced quite a few. The new hose is strengthened so it shouldn't happen again.